Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 08-Sep-2009, 03:12
Ducati Meccanica
Bikes: 916 Senna, 748RS Corse, 1098s Race

Mood: walking on sunshine.....
Question 1098S vs 1198S - Race bike maybe?

Can someone summarise the differences for me...apart from the obvious.

I have the race bike bug, badly, and shopping about, I'm hoping with these I can just do full pipes, crash protection (obviously, stop laughing at the back) and away.

Any big differences in spec?
Old 08-Sep-2009, 16:18
Deceased 02/10/2010 - R.I.P.
Ducati Corse

Mood: NGRRC Minitwins champion 2007
Ask CC. He has owned both. From what he has said elsewhere the 1198 appears to have the most devastating mid-range power. I guess the trick would be managing to extract the performance from either!
Old 08-Sep-2009, 21:32
DSC Club Member
Ducati in my Blood
Bikes: 1100S Multistrada, 450RT, Gilera Nordwest, Bultaco Frontera, Rickman Metisse-being built!

Mood: Growing old-DISGRACEFULLY!
Quote:
Originally Posted by twpd
Ask CC. He has owned both. From what he has said elsewhere the 1198 appears to have the most devastating mid-range power. I guess the trick would be managing to extract the performance from either!

Hmmmm, 'devastating mid-range power' eh-perfect with the upright riding position of my new Multistrada thingy............

John

Growing old-disgracefully!
Old 09-Sep-2009, 01:26
Ducati Meccanica

Mood: ooooh
currently running an 1198S and today i took it to donington after riding my poorly race bike home to pick it up...

On the road it was obvious the midrange and top end kick of the 1198 was better than the 1098, TC is a bonus but on the road I run it off as it interferes with wheelies !

On track tho I was interested to see if I could get the TC to cut in, I failed despite getting on the gas earlier than I have done in my life and running right up the back of people, I ran TC on level 3 and not once did it kick in so it would take a lot of commitment to use it, I did try it on level 4 and it lit up a couple of times on the 2nd gear left hander goddards.

Another problem with the midrange is out of the loop and goddards in 2nd gear it just wanted to wheelie even when your knee was just being picked up, it was very hard to get full throttle in 2nd and make use of the midrange and short shifting seemed to work best defeating the power advantage over other bikes.

So not sure I've made sense but I'd take the 1198S easily over the 1098 I had, the extra power is addictive
Old 09-Sep-2009, 10:29
WSB Hero

Mood: www.cantbearsed.co.uk
Quote:
Originally Posted by couchcommando
currently running an 1198S and today i took it to donington after riding my poorly race bike home to pick it up...

On the road it was obvious the midrange and top end kick of the 1198 was better than the 1098, TC is a bonus but on the road I run it off as it interferes with wheelies !

On track tho I was interested to see if I could get the TC to cut in, I failed despite getting on the gas earlier than I have done in my life and running right up the back of people, I ran TC on level 3 and not once did it kick in so it would take a lot of commitment to use it, I did try it on level 4 and it lit up a couple of times on the 2nd gear left hander goddards.

Another problem with the midrange is out of the loop and goddards in 2nd gear it just wanted to wheelie even when your knee was just being picked up, it was very hard to get full throttle in 2nd and make use of the midrange and short shifting seemed to work best defeating the power advantage over other bikes.

So not sure I've made sense but I'd take the 1198S easily over the 1098 I had, the extra power is addictive

Get an R6 - none of the technical BS to worry about!!!
Old 09-Sep-2009, 14:39
Ducati Meccanica
Bikes: 916 Senna, 748RS Corse, 1098s Race

Mood: walking on sunshine.....
Nice one.

Didn't get a chance to ask the guys here if they ran TC on the race bikes. Anyone know? I would assume yes...

I assume all the other 'S' goodies are the same, so just TC and 100cc of thumping mid range power separates them....

Righto, off shopping, what's the worst that could happen??