Ducati Sporting Club UK
DesmoDue - General Questions and Chat
Discussions on the race series devised and supported by the DSC.

Old 06-Oct-2009, 00:44
Big Twin

Mood: #65 Double Desmo Due Champion - Class B 2007, Class A 2009
I bow out of Desmo Due

I've had three and a half of the most awesome years of my life!

Desmo Due has lived in mine, my wife's, daughers, family, team and sponsors lives 24hours a day 365 days a year since we started.

Before Desmo Due, I'd never really fallen off a bike. Last year at Donington as I slid down the grass doing 100mph at Craner Curves on my arse, I was relaxing and laughing....

Desmo Due changes your life, just ask anyone who's done it!

This year has been the most amazing time, having such an awesome bike, supperb sponsors and of course my family and team behind me to take the A Class title after taking Class B only two years ago.

As the season panned out we were wondering what to do after this year should I win the title. Would I defend it? Would I move on to bigger bikes? another series??

Anyway, we were happlily working on a fitness schedule and I'd got quite good at jogging, doing 4 miles every day before work which lost me about a stone in weight which is what i needed. But, as I upped the speed and distance I was getting short of breath and especially at swimming as my swim partner, Sherman, would disapear on the distance sprint races and I'd be passing out (exageration!). After a chat with Chris Turner, we decided I might suffer from asthma as his kids do, the symptoms were the same. So off I go to the GP.... well to cut a very long story short and after loads of tests, i was at hospital having a pipe slid up my arm artery and into my heart, the injection of die was the most amazing feeling...

As it turns out, I have a leaking Aorta Heart Valve. My heart is extra large to cope with the leaking valve and a low blood pressure which could cause problems leading to a heart attack. Solution: Mechanical Heart Valve Required (Titanium, Chris ) but I would have to take the blood thinning Warfarin to aid the valve.

Hence I have to stop racing to reduce the risk of injury. Its not been an easy decision, but we feel we've acheived what we set out to do, well beyond our wildest dreams and the outset was always 4 years in DD.

My open heart operation is scheduled for monday 12th October and recovery around 6 weeks. Please dont worry yourself over it, we have it all under control and after hearing about so many heart failures I'm just so glad mine is being taken care of.

We will be continuing to support DD by running the 2010 Action Alarms Novice Cup and try to get to as many meetings as possible to cheer you all on. A new road bike is in order too....

Get building your DD bikes and tell us all about it here, its great learning of peoples builds. I'll be back on here far too much too

We've made a whole new family of freinds in DD and via the sporting club, there are some lovely people out there who will go out of their way to help you, thank you all.

Andy #38 - #65 - #1

Last edited by andys 900ss : 06-Oct-2009 at 00:50.
Old 06-Oct-2009, 00:51
Big Twin

Mood: If you ain't first, you're last!
Obviously, I knew about this, and am glad you've decided to tell everyone.

To be honest, I'm pleased you've achieved the double championship, because as I said at Pembrey, you, your family and supporters have put in the graft for a number of years, and christ almighty you've been so consistent over the years.

A complete racer and great DD legend for the future.

You know I'll be here as friend and rival forever.

Whatever you need, it's a cinch.

Word.
Old 06-Oct-2009, 00:58
DSC Club Member
Big Twin
Bikes: Ducati 749, Phil Read Replica, DD 620

Mood: 2011 DD Class 'B' Champion
Amazing Andy, you have carried that millstone exceptionally well. Sincerely hope all goes well and look forward to seeing you and perhaps divulge a few tips to us lowly runners.
Old 06-Oct-2009, 01:30
WSB Hero

Mood: www.cantbearsed.co.uk
Jeeezzz !!! WTF !!

All credit to you pal. Amazing.

Good luck with the operation and recovery, you've left DD at the top and a very, very well deserved champion.

Take it easy fella...

Tim
Old 06-Oct-2009, 01:55
Ducati Corse

Mood: Bloo and Yellow.. and Red now ;)
A big heart doesn't even come close mate. One of lifes truly nice guys, you are one hell of a racer but a much bigger man.
You'll succeed at whatever you do, partly because you never give up, largely through talent but mostly because you deserve it.
We've already discussed the next few weeks. You know where i am. I'll always be around
Good luck.
Old 06-Oct-2009, 08:24
DSC Club Rep
Ducati Corse
Bikes: Monster 1100 EVO

Mood: I'm A Grandad again :-)
It was a shock when your dad told me on Sunday, having known that for most of the season and still carried on the way you did say's a lot about you Andy, Tracey and all your family and friends are no doubt incredibly proud of you.

Mmmm, Titanium valve, must be a Ducati Performance special

All the best for the op and see you in the paddock next year and sooner up at Nelly's.

Chris
Old 06-Oct-2009, 10:36
Cucciolo
Ducati in my Blood
Bikes: 848 Evo Corse

Mood: Waiting for the revolution!
Andy that is bad news but as has been said you have been wonderful for the series and a true champion.

Have you searched for a carbon valve though? Lighter and will look far cooler......
Old 06-Oct-2009, 13:00
Ducati Meccanica
Bikes: Ducati 996 1 & only Class C DD Champion and KTM LC8 950 SMR

Mood: It's not big, Its not funny, It's necessary
Wow, to have raced with that in the back of your mind must have been hard which makes your Championship Win even more special. What a way to finish Andy. Good luck with the opp and I look forward to seeing you again at the Dinner Dance.

Blue Army

Craig
Old 06-Oct-2009, 13:09
Ducati Meccanica

Mood: ooooh
Been great to see you over the years mate, DD gave me some great mates and you are one of them. Here for you and Trace now mate
Old 06-Oct-2009, 13:39
Big Twin

A few pics

Andy's weekend trophies, good luck with the op I am sure we will be kept updated
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version Name:	DSCF0865 (Medium).JPG Views:	220 Size:	74.5 KB ID:	11241  Click image for larger version Name:	DSCF0872 (Medium).JPG Views:	242 Size:	61.9 KB ID:	11242  Click image for larger version Name:	DSCF0896 (Medium).JPG Views:	239 Size:	95.5 KB ID:	11243