Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 20-Aug-2009, 11:29
Montjuic
Bikes: MS1200S, T150V

Mood: Hopeful
Smile Time for an Update then ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NormanBurrows
The first 30 miles on the 1198s were nearly the last. If one thing really gets my goat it's a misfire. Imagine the scene: 17C blue sky and bone dry, smooth dual carriageway, 65mph, constant throttle. The darned thing was misfiring worse than a badly serviced 851 in an Algerian traffic jam. Then, just as my blood was coming to a boil, I noticed the briefest flash of the 1st LED on the DASH top: the DTC activation.

Never under any circumstance could anything have been "spinning-up". A quick stop in the next layby, changed DTC from Level 8 to 6. Hey Presto. Later, I turned it off completely and the engine was even smoother.

I would really like to understand what other 1198s riders are experiencing (the 1098R system is not the same). It is so intrusive on your bike or do I have a fault?

If you are thinking of moving from a 1098 to a 1198 believing the change is just 100cc, thing again. Lots of very small things add up to a hugely different feel (to me). Some better, some worse. The throttle response seems faster and torque seem immensely increased even at running-in speeds. Poised as you would be to wind on a breath of gas on corner entry, hit a bump on our 3rd world roads, and you'll be rewarded by a snarl of power pushing you towards doom. Of course I will get used to it, but first impressions (after a 1098s remember) is that it's an animal. Respect is due to those who can ride the R !

Now with 2,500 miles on the clock and Cadwell under it's belt, what do I think of it now? In short; it's a belter! Forget DTC levels 6-8 cos it just feels stupid. The vibes at 80-90 in top are smoothing out a bit; never uncomfortable but the mirrors blur. Fuel consumption is 10 miles a tank better than 1098s. The real improvement is the stock set-up. At Cadwell there was no front end compression or slighest drama at Mansfield, just (to me) sublime manners everywhere.

Whilst running in, my best mate reversed his Land Rover Discovery over it. Just 800 miles on the clock and Kerching!! Cosmetics only but a grand nevertheless. So I didn't need to bend it at Cadwell. Going back to basics, building up steady, not frightening myself, lap times came down steadily from 2m 04s (Mon AM) to 1m 52s (Tues PM) still with no scares. For me this is stellar and all down to good standard set-up. Traction control was in level 2 and showed 15% round Chris curves to the Gooseneck - never felt any intrusion.

So I'm chuffed. Best sports bike I've owned. Like all great products, it has warts. Only Ducati is able to have flaws, in some wierd subliminal way, enhance their products.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2009_DSC_Cadwell_Day2Inters_0086 small.JPG (108.3 KB, 12 views)
Old 20-Aug-2009, 11:32
Big Twin

Just turn the whole system off. Simples