Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 13-Oct-2006, 13:38

Question Brake light

Can anyone help me with a diagnosis,my brakelights fail to come on when using the front brake,but are fine in use with the rear brake.It can't be any of the fuses can it,only everything else seems to be working.Are there any hidden fuses or inacessable wiring ares where the problem may be ?
Old 13-Oct-2006, 13:52
Ducati in my Blood

Mood: stiff and tired
have you swapped to a different master cyl or such?

the brembo master cyl does not automatically have the connections into the loom.
Old 13-Oct-2006, 14:29
500SD

Brake light switch?
Old 13-Oct-2006, 14:29
Mille

I'd suspect that the front brake microswitch (under the master cylinder) is sticking, give it a clean with some switch cleaner or WD40.......I've had an SS that did the same thing come MOT time!
Old 13-Oct-2006, 15:04
Big Twin

Mood: Train comes and I know its destination
Do 748s have bullet connectors between the leads off of the brake lever switch and the loom (as 749s/999s do)? If so, they may need a clean and some re-seating.
Old 13-Oct-2006, 20:01
MotoGP God

Mood: Its ONLY a Bike Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loz
Do 748s have bullet connectors between the leads off of the brake lever switch and the loom

Yep they do Loz, so they can always be pulled apart and the two ends from the main loom shorted together to check its not a break in the wiring in the harness.

If its the same problem as Brenda's (Mrs Everton to some) then it could well be a naff brake switch

Checkout the Desmo Due Paddock on Facebook
Old 16-Oct-2006, 09:00
Mille

Yeah im having a similar problem, i've got a brembo radial master cylinder and with a small hand full the lights don't come on but with a large handful they come on, was told to look at the relay switch from the master cylinder? think i've located, its a couple of wires which attach at the bottom of the cylinder but can't see any obvious problems? any ideas?????????
Old 16-Oct-2006, 10:36
Ducati in my Blood

Mood: Back down to 3 :>(
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke2BSteve
Yeah im having a similar problem, i've got a brembo radial master cylinder and with a small hand full the lights don't come on but with a large handful they come on, was told to look at the relay switch from the master cylinder? think i've located, its a couple of wires which attach at the bottom of the cylinder but can't see any obvious problems? any ideas?????????

Yes - stop using the brake you big wuss...!!!
Old 16-Oct-2006, 10:44
Big Twin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke2BSteve

The wires you describe there are from the pressure switch, which the Radials have instead of a mech switch as such on the standard items.

Not sure there is anything you can do about it really?
Old 16-Oct-2006, 13:33
Big Twin

If you listen carefuilly (engine off, ignition on) you should be able to hear a "click" from the front brake microswitch. If you can't hear a click, the switch is misplaced/missing/broken.

They can become displaced. Mine has two tiny lugs which locate in two holes in the handlebar switch/master cylinder assembly, although I believe there are two different types. Pull the switch out, give it a squirt of WD 40, test that it works by pushing the button, and carefully reinstate it.