Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 10-Apr-2012, 14:27
Bikes: Ducati 999s, Kawasaki ZX7r, Kawasaki KX250

Basic Fuel Tank Questions

let the modifying begin.....

Bearing in mind I've not touched my bike yet with spanners, thought I'd ask first.

I've picked up a 749R tank. I believe it to be over 20 litres vs the standard 15.5 on the 999s. Anyone know the actual capacity?
(I know I'll know once I fit it and fill it.......)

In removing the tank:

1. Two pipes connected at the front behind the steering damper are breathers I guess? pls confirm.

2. Fuel pump connectors are a squeeze and pull off. Does the fuel pump then seal or will the tank start to drain?

3. Looks to me like the tank and seat/tail all come off as one assembly. Have i got that right?

4. Anyone with a 749r know what the dome head bolt is screwed into the top surface of the tank, front left? Something to do with racing? Alternative breather? I understand that WSS rules were tighter on mods, so the 749r is closer to the racer than the 999r (as WSB allowed more changes....).

cheers

Paul
Old 11-Apr-2012, 10:58

Thanks Putney for the answers so far....I now feel £900 richer as I paid £400 for it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Putney

The 749R tank is oversized being 18.5 litres, it was however available in the Ducati performance catalog for the 999 range but was a rip off at £1300. They tried to make it unique by fitting a race style breather plug however in order for this to work you needed a kit which was another £400. I think yours is 15 litres and is just a flatter tank. From the looking at my tank it looks like they just cut the top off yours and raised the front of the tank slightly and welded it back down to get the extra capacity.
The fuel pumps and everything else are the same....

Quote:
Originally Posted by mileypau
let the modifying begin.....

Bearing in mind I've not touched my bike yet with spanners, thought I'd ask first.

I've picked up a 749R tank. I believe it to be over 20 litres vs the standard 15.5 on the 999s. Anyone know the actual capacity?
(I know I'll know once I fit it and fill it.......)

In removing the tank:

1. Two pipes connected at the front behind the steering damper are breathers I guess? pls confirm.

2. Fuel pump connectors are a squeeze and pull off. Does the fuel pump then seal or will the tank start to drain?

3. Looks to me like the tank and seat/tail all come off as one assembly. Have i got that right?

4. Anyone with a 749r know what the dome head bolt is screwed into the top surface of the tank, front left? Something to do with racing? Alternative breather? I understand that WSS rules were tighter on mods, so the 749r is closer to the racer than the 999r (as WSB allowed more changes....).

cheers

Paul
Old 11-Apr-2012, 21:18
WSB Hero

Mood: Lurkin'.....
Quote:
Yep,that is correct.
Quote:
Yes the tank should be sealed when the connectors are removed.You may get a small amount of fuel drain out.
Quote:
You can unbolt the seat unit off the tank.Dont know if you have a bip or mono?This is for the mono,..you undo the two seat side bolts and the two under the seat unit.Lift the rear of the seat up and release the peg from the grommet in the subframe.Prop the seat up with a bit of 4x2 or similar and look under the nose of the seat.You will see a bolt head,...17mm,iirc,...remove that and the whole seat unit will come away from the tank.Its then a lot easier to remove the tank.
Old 12-Apr-2012, 14:11

Thanks

Cheers mate....all makes sense.

I've got the mono seat unit on it.....Bip' in bubble wrap on the shelf.

Tank swop this weekend...

Paul
Old 13-Apr-2012, 19:25
WSB Hero

Mood: Lurkin'.....
Be carefull when you refit the tank.Its very easy to trap the fuel lines between the tank and the rear cylinder head.The tank has a shallow trough on the underside for the pipes to tuck into.