Ducati Sporting Club UK
DesmoDue - General Questions and Chat
Discussions on the race series devised and supported by the DSC.

Old 31-Oct-2009, 23:20
MotoGP God

Mood: Its ONLY a Bike Club
Well the winter upgrades have started 2009

The 900SSie Harness was removed the other day along with the 750SSie ECU as these will be replaced with original 620 parts.

Today I removed the airbox & throttle bodies to allow easier access to the inlet Rocker covers. With these removed and I set up my degree wheel and new Digital dial gauge to check my cam lobe centres. The Digital dial gauge was certainly easier to use than the old analouge one.

After my suck it and see cam timing adjustments at the first Cadwell meeting I wasn't sure what I would find.
As it turns out the front cylinder was spot on what I had hoped for and the rear cylinder 3 degrees futher advanced so I retarded it to bring it in line with the front cylinder.

In a quest to save some weight off my 173kg porker I have been to see a local guy about modifying my exhaust to turn it into a 2 into 1 that I can then fit my Harris Titanium can to, which I last used on my Class B bike.

To save a bit more weight I really should get around to fitting a Alloy swingarm and maybe look at cutting the subframe which at the moment untouched.

Depending on time available I would like to get around to removing the heads, lapping the valves in and reshimming as well as fitting new Piston Rings. Although a recent Leak down test only showed a small acceptable leak level.

Goes without saying that Oil, Filter and belts will also be replaced.

Checkout the Desmo Due Paddock on Facebook

Last edited by skidlids : 26-Nov-2012 at 23:05.
Old 31-Oct-2009, 23:52
DSC Club Member
Big Twin
Bikes: Ducati 749, Phil Read Replica, DD 620

Mood: 2011 DD Class 'B' Champion
Eat less pies as well Kev. I dropped mine out today and removed heads and pistons. Thats as far as I'm going with the motor as it was totally apart twice this season.

Front piston is scored to hell.
Old 01-Nov-2009, 00:14
MotoGP God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost
Front piston is scored to hell.

Should be news on approved replacement pistons for Class B very soon, we had three companies get back to us and we now know which of those we want to go with.
I may have to pull apart my old 583 engine as I need to get a sample to them unless I can borrow one off Maty or someone else as I only have late 583 (1999 to 2001) pistons out of an engine at the moment.

Old 01-Nov-2009, 00:25
DSC Club Member
Big Twin

Mine is a 95 model year and is available as a sample. What is the piston difference between model years tho' ??
Old 01-Nov-2009, 01:08
MotoGP God

Quote:
Mine is a 95 model year and is available as a sample. What is the piston difference between model years tho' ??

Not quite sure what the differences are but I do know AK had to add a fair bit of weld to the top of the pistons in his 675 kit in the first year of DD to get the compression back up on his late model 583 engine, where as for those using the same kit on the older engines it was a straight forward fit.

I hope to find a piston locally but if not I may take you up on your offer Phil

All Pistons that were considered were Forged ones that are CNC machined to final spec, complete with Rings, Wrist Pins and circlips.

Old 01-Nov-2009, 01:37
500SD

Quote:

You also have a pair of scored pistons removed from my 1996 583 ?

Maybe let Kev have one of those
Old 01-Nov-2009, 13:24
500SD

Mood: ready to race
chatting to john at baines racing yesterday he said they were having some pistons made
Old 01-Nov-2009, 13:31
DSC Club Member
Big Twin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imola Duke
You also have a pair of scored pistons removed from my 1996 583 ?

Maybe let Kev have one of those

Steve, the ones I have from you are in better condition than mine.
Old 13-Nov-2009, 19:59
MotoGP God

Quote:
Originally Posted by skidlids
In a quest to save some weight off my 173kg porker I have been to see a local guy about modifying my exhaust to turn it into a 2 into 1 that I can then fit my Harris Titanium can to, which I last used on my Class B bike.

Picked up my 2 into 1 conversion on the way home and am very pleased with the quallity and price.
I may get around to fitting it to the bike this weekend but the priority is to finish off the race harness and get the bike running again.
But once the exhaust is fitted I'll take some pics.

Old 13-Nov-2009, 22:58
Mille
Bikes: M620ie, DD583R #30

How much is too much?

Quote:
Originally Posted by skidlids
Depending on time available I would like to get around to removing the heads, lapping the valves in and reshimming as well as fitting new Piston Rings. Although a recent Leak down test only showed a small acceptable leak level.

What sort of % leak would be acceptable ?, should you be trying to get it down to 5 - 10% on a 600, also what sort of compression should there be ?

Good luck fitting the 2in1.