Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 07-Mar-2006, 12:09

monster 1000DS

Firstly hello as this is my first post and the bars open :-)

Secondly I am considering getting a secondhand monster 1000DS - the aircooled 2 valve engine. Are there any particular faults I should be looking for?
Also what is the fuel tank capacity on this bike?

cheers

sam
Old 07-Mar-2006, 12:14
Big Twin
Bikes: 996 race bike

Mood: Almost over it.
Welcome Sam! It's still early so I'll have a coffee thanks.

You can't go wrong with a 2 valve air cooled engine and don't let these water cooled 4 valvers tell you anything different!

Don't know specifics on the Monster 1000DS, but I'd say at a minimum check that there's a decent service history and when the belts were changed last. I'm no mechnic so I'm sure there will be others along in a moment with greater knowledge.
Old 07-Mar-2006, 12:32
Ducati Corse

Hi Sam, I have a M1000sie - and she does just the job for me.

Make sure you check the engine casings, as some of thses engines (in the MS too) were prone to paint flaking off. Not a big prob, but something to factor in when haggling on price - as most have been done under warranty.
Otherwise, not much 'individual probs' - just make sure you check all the usual bike type things, and that it does have complete service history.
Any monster over 2 years old will have had its first full 2 year belt service, where shims etc get checked too.

I can get about 125ish miles to the tank before the fuel light comes on, if bimbling, but if going a tad sharpish it can be down to 80/85

C