Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 28-Aug-2003, 14:04
Mille

FLYWHEEL NUTS

Just refitted annettes flywheel,(thanks to craig at ducati london south for his advice) and thought I should post the new reccomended torques. On engines with a solid countershaft drive gear(the gear behind the flywheel assy) ducati now reccomend 270 newton metres, on SP/SPS and posibly some rs the countershaft drive gear is grooved where it sits on the crankshaft, this type of gear can only be torqued to 190 newton metres otherwise the gear can shatter.
naturally I tightened to 270then had to strip it again and check the sprocet so I could retighten it to 190, to check for the oil groove you have to pull the gear off.

dave

ps I used semipermanent loctite as well!!
Old 28-Aug-2003, 15:34

We've had a lot of cases of flywheel nuts coming loose and creating all sorts of havoc. It's been caused by out of spec threads on the stock nut. They can come loose even when slathered with loctite and proper torque. Nichols Manufacturing has a set of locknuts that replace the stock nut and solve the problem. Here's their website link: http://www.nicholsmfg.com/
They are located locally and I deal with them often. Good people and excellent products.