Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 24-Dec-2003, 18:18
GTL

Alarm problem...

I have a problem with the alarm fitted to my 916 Bip (Datatool Veto Plus).

Last week I fitted a replacement temperature gauge, which obviously entailed disconnecting and removing the instrument panel. It all went back together OK, and everything seemed to work (i.e. all the right lights came on etc) and the alarm seemed to arm and disarm. I didn't try starting the bike though.

This morning, I decided yesterday's rain had probably washed away all the salt, so a ride was in order. The alarm disarmed, the fuel pump clicked as usual, pressed the starter button - nothing.

I checked all the wiring, couldn't find anything loose etc. I checked the fuses for the alarm (one in each lead attached to the battery) - OK. Eventually, I disconnected the alarm from the solenoid and replaced the original plug - started right away, but the alarm is now completely dead. So I can now ride the bike, but it's not alarmed at all.

Any thoughts would be much appreciated. Obviously not urgent, but might get a chance to look at it again at the weekend if anyone has any ideas.

Thanks in advance, and Season's Greetings.

A
Old 27-Dec-2003, 09:42
500SD

souds like a wire from the alarm has somehow shorted out whilst doing the gauge work, could an alarm circuit wire have touched earth ? if so then something, maybe a relay, has "blown up" in the alarm control box. with the alarm "dead" it would not make the circuit to the solenoid resulting in the bike not starting. check the power 12v to the alarm box is ok, try unplugging the multiplug to the box then replugging it, this might reset the alarm......