Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 20-Oct-2003, 13:23
500SD

Brembo Radial Master Cylinders: 19/18 or 19/20?

Originally had this post in general section, only two responses?! (thx Jasper & Felix).

There must be more than two people on here using Brembo radial brake master cylinders, so which one are you using, 19/18 or 19/20?

Anybody used both and if so, which did you prefer and why?

Thanks guys and gals,

Neil
Old 20-Oct-2003, 13:43
WSB Hero

Mood: www.cantbearsed.co.uk
Neil.....

I had the 19/20 on the SPS and I have the 19/18 on the 996R, but haven't really tested the 996R yet.

But either way, one fingered braking is what I prefer and either setup is awesome. On the SPS I had the 19/20 with wavey disks and HH pads - the brakes were awesome. I've ridden a R6 for the last couple of trackdays (with standard disks, but Ferodo race pads) and I really miss the SPS setup. So I'm looking forward to testing the 996R's brakes.

There's always talk of progressive brakes etc, but I like a brake switch, on or off!!!

It may depend on whether you like to brake deep into corners, when banked over etc, etc....

What are your thoughts?

Tim
Old 20-Oct-2003, 14:29
500SD

Tim,

I'm leaning towards the 19/18 at the moment. I like the idea of a bit more "feel". Only downside apparently is that there is more lever movement with the 19/18 compared to the 19/20 to achieve same braking effect. Don't really know if that's good or bad though!? Have you noticed that on your 996R compared to the old SPS?

I've also just changed to the 4 pot 4 pad calipers (same ones as on your 996R) and I'm now wondering how I ever managed to stop before! Hopefully a radial pump will give me a bit more of the same!

Cheers, Neil.
Old 20-Oct-2003, 14:54
WSB Hero

Mood: www.cantbearsed.co.uk
I forgot to add that I'd also changed the front calipers on the SPS for the 4 pad ones - they are awesome.
I can only hope that the R is as good as the SPS was.

The 19/18 route is probably best for general road and track use anyway (IMHO).

I think you're right about the amount of lever movement required, but we are only talking about a few mm's!!! You'll not be squashing your fingers against the throttle with either setup!!

Whichever setup you have, stopping will not be a problem, maybe you'll need to start looking at more on the "go" side of things???

Don't forget about the brakelight side of things too. You'll need to ensure that provision is made for a brake switch in the setup.

Tim
Old 20-Oct-2003, 15:26
500SD

Tim,

To be honest mate, I don't think I'm riding anywhere near the full capabilities of the bike! There's a lad from somewhere up hear that I've seen on a couple of trackdays with a 748R and he's always the quickest thing out there. Gets reeled in on the straights by the bigger bikes but as soon as it's into the twisties he's off like a rat up a drainpipe. So, I really need to learn to get the most out of what I've got now before going for more power. Let's face it, where's the fun (or skill) in going fast in a straight line!? With that in mind, the next stage is forks and shock off to K-Tech for some fettling.

As for brake light switch, I guess the easiest option is pressure switch in banjo bolt although I've just seen that Yoyodyne in the states are now doing a kit that lets you retain the OEM switch with the radial pumps. Don't know if anyone in the UK is doing the kit though.

Neil
Old 20-Oct-2003, 15:37
Ducati Meccanica

Mood: Is 112 dB loud enough?? What??
Neil, pressure switch in the banjo bolt works fine. Actually, I am removing mine now that it's no longer road registered, but it worked just fine.