Ducati Sporting Club UK
DesmoDue - General Questions and Chat
Discussions on the race series devised and supported by the DSC.

Old 15-Aug-2005, 20:03
DSC Club Member
WSB Hero

Well, if you're saying that everyone was comfortable in the wet and riding flat out becuase the tyres gave lots of confidence, then I'll eat my bike!!!

I rode at a pace which felt to me like I was on the limit and if I went faster then I would crash - I've never had that feeling on wets.

I appreciate that not everyone could afford spare wheels and wets, but you all seem to be making a decision without actually trying the alternatives.

Someone suggests using a tyre designed specifically for the wet conditions, and 99% of you put your fingers in your ears and go "blahblhablhaalalalalalala"

The cost of big bores etc. hasn't put people off, nor the fact that racing is expensive, no matter how cheap the series is supposed to be.

Most riders have been happy to spend money on suspension and engines to increase performance, but seem upset to have to spend money on a set of wets for safety reasons.

You're all mental!!

....and can you slow down a bit :P
Old 15-Aug-2005, 20:13
Ducati Meccanica

Mood: Damp
Quote:
Originally posted by domski
but seem upset to have to spend money on a set of wets for safety reasons.

Ermmmm.... not exactly shed loads of fallers on Saturday, and those that there were wouldn't generally have been saved by wets. I haven't heard any of the other experienced racers recommending them above our existing choice, and 99% can't bloody afford them!

Now gather up your toys and return them to the the pram they came from....
Old 15-Aug-2005, 20:16
DSC Club Member
WSB Hero

So you'd be happier to go out on Diablos than wets?
Old 15-Aug-2005, 20:20
MotoGP God

Mood: 749 racebike MGP
Hrmmm .. I stand by what I've said above about not having issues with staying on Diablo's but I think Dom has a point.

Ali, I've spoken to a few of the experienced racers, both in our series and outside it, and most of them lean towards running sticky's and wets. And all of those that think that way quote safety issues as their reason. I'd prefer to run SC Pro's and wets but ....

.... let the riders decide and we'll all be in the same boat.
Old 15-Aug-2005, 20:29
DSC Club Member
WSB Hero

Maybe it's easier to have an opinion on tyres if you've used them.

Believe me, wets are incredible.

Pole for CB500 (in the dry session) was a 1:29

The fastest lap was a 1:36 on wets.

Pole for DD was 1:25

Fastest wet lap for DD 1:41

...now tell me that wets are crap!

It's not a cost issue, coz I can't afford them either. I can't afford to race full stop, but I find the money - we all do, so you can't use that arguement.

Also, the majority of 'riders' in this series don't know the benefits of wets, so are purely going on cost.

Do we all go out and buy £30 crash helmets coz they're cheaper?
Old 15-Aug-2005, 20:39
DSC Club Member
WSB Hero

Oh, and the winning CB500 rider (who I know and isn't blindingly fast) was 20 seconds faster than Geoff over 6 laps.

I gotta say lads, that your focus on certain issues is way off the mark.

Don't forget that next season, you don't have to go out and spend £3000 on a race bike, or racing gear or an awning or whatever.

So if you could find £4000-£8000 to go racing this year, are you honestly sure that NEXT YEAR (when you don't have to buy all that stuff again!) you can't find £300 to get wets and wheels?

[Edited on 15-8-2005 by domski]
Old 15-Aug-2005, 20:43
DSC Club Member
WSB Hero

...and lastly... you're buying an asset.

You can sell wheels on afterwards, so you'll get almost all of it back anyway.
Old 15-Aug-2005, 20:47
Ducati in my Blood

Mood: What a wonderful world.
You're right Dom, I've never used wet tyres. But from my point of view, I can't think it's a good idea. This year I can't even afford to buy a second set of Diablos, so of course I don't know where I could find the money for some wet ones. Then I would need an extra set of wheels, fortunately I've got one, but if it wasn't the case I couldn't afford to buy one as well. This is for the financial aspect, which you say doesn't matter as we think it does. Another major aspect is that to use wet tyres, you need somebody to fit them... and quickly is better. And even if Johan (the other french guy) was here to assist me at Snet and Doni, it doesn't mean he will always be here for me. I think I'm not the only one to be "a team" on my own, and be sure adding this point to the rules won't help us at all. Anyway, I think if the rules would have to change, I would like to them allow less modifications on our bikes (even by sorting the bikes by engine size...) than the opposite.

[Edité le 15-8-2005 par Tonio600]
Old 15-Aug-2005, 21:18
DSC Club Member
WSB Hero

Quote:
Originally posted by ali
not exactly shed loads of fallers on Saturday,

Is that what we have to wait for? A shed load of fallers.

5 or 6 people to destroy their bikes?

Like the usual way things are done in society, wait for something bad to happen and respond to that, rather than preventing something in the first place?

Look, I'm just playing devils advocate because I don't think many people are looking at this issue correctly.

It's not a cost issue.

Nobody enjoys wobbling around almost crashing everywhere on road tyres - just to save £300.

It costs £300 to get there in the first place - why ruin it by running street rubber?

I may or may not do DD next season, so this may or may not affect me - however, I think it needs to be looked at very seriously, rather than "I can't afford wets, so I don't want them" type of attitude.
Old 15-Aug-2005, 22:19
DSC Club Member
BSB Star

Mood: www.knightroadraceteam.co.uk
Its not an affordability issue Dom. We would have been jumping about if it was - I even asked Andy if he wanted to bother in taking the bike out for the 2nd race, as he has strong 'safety issues' about tyres etc. Only once did the rear let go with him - and he said that could have easily happened in the dry on the bend, and the way he was riding Snotty at the time.

Been having an interesting chat with Mark (Hill, one of the 'Axe' murderes in the Supersport 600's at Bemsee) tonight about these tyres.

His initial thoughts back at the beginning of the season was 'you lot are loopy to consider road tyres'.
Having then later used the bike with these Diablo tyres - he was very impressed. As I said before - Andy (who has also raced a bit before) also was very impressed with them on Sat too.

Skids has also got 'previous' - and he likes them.

That only leaves Ian (the Old Man), Geoff, Clint & Glynn as 'previous form racers' to make their statements about these tyres - apart from yourself Dom, I think?

Having seen a few slicks in SOT taking their riders round - 2 finishing in the final 6 - its not soley down to the tyres - but also rider confidence & ability.

Overall, the tyres have been successsful so far - in our 2 mates who have ridden our bike opinions that is.

edited to say: this is a rare post by Alan

[Edited on 15-8-2005 by CK and AK]