Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 12-Oct-2006, 22:47
Big Twin

Quote:
Originally Posted by pedro
heres my 2p worth,ive had a 749r with both systems (assymetric & 57mm) they both sound the same,the 57mm looks great on the 749r & gave a little extra power 5bhp?. i found the 749r had to be reved high to get the best of it,if i wanted a screaming bike i would buy a jap thingy thingy.i went for a 999s,this bike came with a assymetric system as standard as its last years 999r bar wheels & carbon as a whole. i had a option to fit the 57mm system or sell it.i sold it as the 999s is plenty good enough with the standard assymetric system & power commander. andy is bang on,if you want more power & torc then get a 999bip/s/r. v2 pete had a trial spin on mine & he was amazed how much torc & power it had,(hes used to a 749) he said " i wish i had bought a 999 now". was/is the 57mm system worth the extra £? i say "no".in the real world at my personal level of riding its a no,however - £2000-£3000 on a 57mm system or £2000-£3000 px between my 749r & 999s.i went with the 999 option.

I'd have to disagree a little...

Had the new 57mm system fitted and set up with my old PCIII at JHP about a month back.

It now feels much better in the midrange and top-end is fantastic. I love the way the 749R revs like its an inline four, but still has the low/mid range grunt.

According to Mr Hackett, my bike was making a healthy 127 bhp, and it certainly feels fantastic (along with the geometry changes).

Its probably worth it for the looks and sound alone! Go for it
Old 13-Oct-2006, 10:44
BSB Star

Mood: Has change happened...must of missed it!
Id agree with you on the looks thing! The std exhaust looks like an after thought compared to say the old 996 jobbies, which even in std 45mm form look the part!
Old 13-Oct-2006, 11:47
Big Twin

I agree with Khu, For looks alone the 57mm system well worth it, I found that on my 749R that it did give about 5bhp and in my opinion it has a different sound, slightly deeper as though you can hear the growl developing in the pipes ?? It also has a more hollow mettalic sound ?

Everyone has their own likes/dislikes but I agree that every time someone mentions a 749R there are the comments about how good the 999 is in comparison, hell they are all way to fast for any one of us to take completely to the limit and again in my own opinion and experiences there is no other bike that gets the attention a full carbon faired 749R recieves from young and old alike.

Some say the 749/999 is ugly, from where they get that from is beyond me, I loved my 748/916/996 but in comparison now even though they are still an icon in the biking world they look so dated when next to a 749/999.

If you can afford the system then go for it, you do what you want to do not what someone else thinks you should do .
Old 13-Oct-2006, 21:23
WSB Hero

Mood: Lurkin'.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by iang
Some say the 749/999 is ugly, from where they get that from is beyond me, I loved my 748/916/996 but in comparison now even though they are still an icon in the biking world they look so dated when next to a 749/999.

If you can afford the system then go for it, you do what you want to do not what someone else thinks you should do .
Amen to all of that.