Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 19-May-2005, 13:43
Big Twin

What price to pay ?

Hi Everyone, My brother is about to get back into a Ducati again after splitting up with his wife (now ex wife ) and i would appreciate your views on what he should go for.
He is starting again from scratch after a stanley knife was taken to his leathers and a hammer ? to his lid ( It was not her mind !!!!! yeh,right ) so he needs these as well.
He can only afford £6000 in total so i beleive he will have between £5200 - £5500 to spend on a bike(or thereabouts)
Do you think he will have to go for a 748 of some kind or is there any 749s about at around this price.(wants a biposto )
He is at his limit to buy a bike so he cannot afford to be sold a dog that is going to need money spent straight away.
Does he go for a 748 with nice bits fitted (termis,marchesinis etc) or a 749 ( might be the safer option ? )
Opinions please.
Old 19-May-2005, 13:55
BSB Star

Mood: Soon my pet, soon
Speak to Lily...

She's got a 2002 748R for sale for about £5500 if he's speaks nicely to her...

Oh wants a bip....
Old 19-May-2005, 13:55
Big Twin

Mood: High as a kite!
Don't buy one,if your on a budget,the running costs will ruin you

[Edited on 19-5-2005 by swannymere]
Old 19-May-2005, 14:53
Big Twin

Mood: Sans moto
you won't get better than Lily's 748r for that kind of money, but if he doesn't want the expense of a 4v engined bike how about a nearly new ( or new if you haggle enough) 900 or 1000ss.
Old 19-May-2005, 15:07
Big Twin

Its got to be a superbike.
He has always had a Ducati, 748, 916,999 but had to sell for the reasons explained so he wants to try and start again.

I have emailed lily, so we will see what happens.

Judjing by what i have read her bike is nice ?
Old 19-May-2005, 16:22
Ducati Corse

Mood: Daft as MartinH after too much Smirnoff Ice
Quote:
Originally posted by JPM
Speak to Lily...

She's got a 2002 748R for sale for about £5500 if he's speaks nicely to her...

Oh wants a bip....

Thats a damn good price for an R, top of the range, you know it makes sense, ditch the idea of the Bip.
Old 19-May-2005, 16:41
BSB Star

Mood: Soon my pet, soon
It is a good bike, just in the undercoat colour!!

Nice bike, plenty of toys, quick as you like, she wants to get shut ASAP as she wouldn't mind a van to cart the 998 around in.
Old 19-May-2005, 20:59
Mille

Mood: On the mend!
I've seen '03 749's on ebay going for £5500. Could have had my '04 RSVR for that matter. Agreed £5500. Bloke collecting early next week. A lot of bike for the cash!
Old 19-May-2005, 22:10
Ducati in my Blood

Mood: stiff and tired
Thanks for your interest Ian, unfortunately i am 500 over his budget

I am really in a quandry over what to do about my bike. Should i drop it another 500 for the sale? Discounting the usual running costs if i look at the extras on it if i sell it for £5500 I reckon i will have lost over 6k in three years (2.5 if you count it has not been on the road for six months) and that doesn't count the fact that i need to pay for a service and mot to sell it!

I just dont know if I can afford to do that or if I should be patient and stick it out in the hope someone will realise what a bargain it is.

I have seen standard 748 up to 2 years older for the same money, ok so some have lower mileage but isn't a bike for riding?
Old 19-May-2005, 23:18
Big Twin

Thanks to lily for her help,but even though £500 might not sound a lot in todays world my brother is scraping the barrel to even raise what he has after losing everything when his wife left and replacing his entire kit.
A few might remember my previous posts a year or so ago when our dad died leaving us a little inheritence each, as soon as the money came through his wife demanded half then left, nice eh, resulting in him having to ell every one of his possesions to keep a roof over his head.
Anyway enough rubbish, he is still looking for solutions and is also looking at a couple of 749s that are serviced,taxed and on the road so no extra expense for a while.
Thanks for the views, keep them coming