Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 13-Nov-2005, 17:46
Mille

WEAK BATTERY ON 999R

I have been keeping my battery topped up on my 999r using an optimate but I cant get the bike to start. If it doest fire on the first couple of attempts there isnt enough juice left in the battery for further attempts.

I suspect that on the first couple of attempts the engine isnt being turned over fast enough to fire.

I think my battery is knackered - does anyone have any recommendations for a new one? Is it OK to change the battery myself or will this reset the ECU etc ?.

ROACHMAN
Old 13-Nov-2005, 17:49
BSB Star

Mood: All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing
Sure it's not the sprag clutch dragging the battery down? Check your battery voltage before and after trying to start. It MAY not be the battery especially as you have been using an optimate.
Old 13-Nov-2005, 17:53
Big Twin

Mood: Diet
i don't think the newer batteries in the 749/999 series bikes respond well to being constantly connected to a charger. I found mine seemed to work better if i only connected the charger overnight once every 2 weeks.
Old 13-Nov-2005, 17:56
MotoGP God

Mood: Its ONLY a Bike Club
Sounds as if your in the same boat as Fabio.
One of the problems with the size of the battery used on the 999 is its Cold Cranking Current rating, not sure what other batteries of that physical size are available.
Last year my 916 suffered in the same way and was cured by fitting a new battery.

Best thing to do James is replace the 999R with a 998R
Old 13-Nov-2005, 18:14
WSB Hero

Mood: Lurkin'.....
Yep the gel batteries are not up to much.Had a new one fitted to my 999,(warranty) after it would'nt hold its charge and the 'S' battery is going the same way.
As electricsheep said,the Optimate chargers dont seem to work well with this type of battery.It does seem to charge better if used for a couple of days at a time.
Old 13-Nov-2005, 18:17
Mille

Mood: Sparks will fly. If it keeps on
Just get a new one under Ducati warranty
Old 13-Nov-2005, 18:18
Mille

Thats what I have been doing - using it once a week

But I have also noticed that the clock reset back to 0:00 every time the bike was started over the last couple of months so I guess the battery has been on its way out for a while

PS - 2 year warranty expired a few weeks ago......sods law
Old 13-Nov-2005, 18:28
BSB Star

Mood: All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing
Quote:
Originally posted by skidlids
Best thing to do James is replace the 999R with a 998R

Thats sounds like a plan, and am sure you could get a decent battery "thrown" in to sweeten the deal.....
Old 13-Nov-2005, 19:05
BSB Star

Mood: Has change happened...must of missed it!
Im on my 3rd battery!
Old 13-Nov-2005, 21:55
Big Twin

749S here and had various battery issues in the past couple years. Optimate after long stand is not good - but don't use it and the alarm runs the battery down in about 3 weeks.

You should check the earth strap if you ahve the clock resetting like that. It will also cause trouble starting because it can't get the current through the connection. The earth strap connect to the engine behind a frame tube just above the clutch slave. It's an allen screw which you can jsut about squeeze in past the frame. At least it is on my 749S.

As for changing the battery, ECU won't mind, but the alarm might if you ahve one fitted. The Datatool Series 3 needs to be put in service mode to do it, or it will go off on it's internal battery. Turn ignition on, then press the disarm button while you switch ignition off. It will beep periodically then, you've probably heard lots of them beeping away in the showrooms.