Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 21-Jul-2005, 00:30
Mille

Mood: He's not happy {:o( He's back at sea!
888 SP4/4S/5

Text Ummm, still learning how to drive this board so if it is all t*ts up it's me!

Robin - heard about the calamity from the boyz at the BMF do Really soz to hear about it. Any info' I'll try and help. Not home very often due to work, but questions re 888SPS kit I'll see what I can sort out.

In general:
First up SP4S and SPS are the same bike. The Italians called them SP4S's Brit's called them SPS. 001 belonged to the son of the Police Chief in Rome. Bet he got stopped often - not.
A word of warning though. Some SPS are hotted up SP4's (that's a small s). As the genuine tucker did sell out so quickly, rumour has it that a second batch were put together but the engine was a standard SP4 and hot cams were put in. I read on an earlier post that a smaller valve size were mentioned. They were sold as SPS's maybe that's it. But I do not know if they were UK only. Real SPS's, originally 15 came to the UK, 25 stayed in Italy, None went to the States.

The plaque on the top stock has enamelled green laurels around the circumference at the top 1991 underneith that 'Superbike World Champion' then 'SP4' and next to that in square blocks with black punched-in script '0xx' where xx is the bikes number. 001 to 100 were original SPS's anything else isn't.
The plaque is also silver as in Sterling, if you look extremely closely under the bow at the bottom you can see little hall marks.

SP5 and SPS engines are supposed to be the same engine. But 115 v 122+ BHP would say other wise. 91 Corsa with a calmed down exhaust cam to make them better for the road. Full chat versions had G cams all round. How d'yer tell the difference? Stalls when cold and has no tick over, and no power below 4000rpm blurs your vision at 8000 and your there for the ride over 9500 it'll go round to 11500, that's when the rev ltdr cuts in on mine and it's still pulling. A few years back at Croft it stayed with the press 916 Foggy Rep ridden by a journo along the pit straight in a straight drag.

Valves were 1mm bigger on the SPS than the SP4 I have a feeling mine are 36/31 (SPS) but it was modded for race work by MotoBurali in Milan 1992. SPS and SP5 heads are supposed to have the same valve sizes. SP4 run smaller valves.

I am not sure about the bottom end (crank and stuff) from memory but I'm confident it is not the same as the SP4. I would also suggest that if you're spinning a V twin at above 10000rpm the crank and rods on the SPS are going to be different to the SP5 too.

The other thing to remember about them is they were built by hand and what was at hand in the parts bin re running gear. So there are variations in the kit they wear. E.g. Mine has under slung back brake caliper, but I have seen another which had an OTT caliper at the back. The engine obviously was the important part and had the most attention applied to it.

Contrary to popular belief the lack of rad fan is not a problem. In fact it's a bloody pain. I have to gaffer tape 1/3rd of the rad up to get it to show 68C even in mild weather on the road. Other wise it'll sit at 55C and not come off rich mixture. I can run it for 1/2hr at a standstill in the garage and it will just crawl above 90C.
Track wise it needs that rad.

Umm, I've twittered on enough here now. If you guys have got any questions I'll try and answer them.

Oh as a post script mine is used and abused, took a spill at Cadwell going into Charlies a couple of years back, did a fair amount of damage but as you say. They are not there to be ponced about on. Use 'em or lose 'em.
With a bit of time I'll see if I can't get to a track day.
Later then.

Ains

888SP4S No#037
Old 21-Jul-2005, 01:02
Ducati Meccanica

thanks for the info ains, my SPS is still in a zillion bits at present I'm afraid.
I'm having some serious problems with parts still.
Can't seem to get the right valves, mine are bigger than than normal sps item,cams are different aswell, if their is such a thing as standard sps parts
Also need a new head, which will need some work etc to match the damaged item.
the engine has been uprated at some point, and parts that I've been sold or quoted as needing are not correct.
There are issues with crankcase shells etc.
I have been in contact with a guy in italy recently to try and source the parts I need, he has contacts at the factory, which may help solve the parts problem.
I can't really see me getting it back on the road before christmas at the present rate, so I'm looking to buy a 900 superlight to be able to get me back out and about on a duke.
It's a real downer at present having an awsome piece of kit , that I can only look at in a pile of bent and mangled engine parts.

Still ,I'll get it sorted out sooner than later hopefully.
I have got a few questions, but I will u2u them to you since they are quite long.

cheers
robin

[Edited on 20-7-2005 by Red SPS]
Old 21-Jul-2005, 11:55
500SD

Hi Ains

It's interesting to read what you say about your bike running cool. My own SP4 runs cool also, and I was concerned that it may have been due to a faulty thermostat or temp. sender - in fact I even renewed the temp. guage a while ago, but to no effect! I only see the gauge rise above 55C when sitting for a while in heavy traffic - and it immediately drops again when I get moving. I've never seen the fan operate! Maybe I'll try blanking-off part of the rad. as you suggest - 'cause if the mixture's too rich then power will surely be down.

I guess the 'slightly too rich' mixture is the cause of all that lovely growling, and the occasional spit back through the cans though? (Hmm! It'd be a shame to lose that rorty sound track!)

My own bike won't tick-over when cold, but it'll do so quite nicely when warm. However, when cold-starting, it needs a good twist of the wrist and this leads to a strong smell of petrol from beneath the tank for the first few miles - which is a bit worrying! It has a completely open airbox too, so I guess that doesn't help. Is your bike 'smelly'?

Didn't know the top yoke plaque was silver - but it don't 'arf polish up with Solvol! I'll check it for a hallmark next ride.

Steve
Old 21-Jul-2005, 14:26
GTL

Steve/Ains

Seems to be a theme here - my SP3 also runs cold, even in the recent hot weather. I'd assumed the gauge or sensor was just inaccurate, but maybe they really all do do that!

Andrew
Old 21-Jul-2005, 19:12
Ducati in my Blood

Mood: Back down to 3 :>(
Wotcha Ains... Fitted that front mag yet ??!

Nat
Old 21-Jul-2005, 19:15
Ducati Meccanica

Mood: I'm so happyyyyyyyyyyyy
Ains, Do you want that rear mag too...

[Edited on 21-7-2005 by rob41b]
Old 21-Jul-2005, 19:19
Big Twin

Mood: Black and grey (and a bit of red)
I'll have some mags if there's any going ?
Old 21-Jul-2005, 19:23
Ducati Meccanica

Mood: I'm so happyyyyyyyyyyyy
I have a 6 inch rear for SS or 8xx.

Rgds, Rob
Old 21-Jul-2005, 23:25
Mille

Mood: He's not happy {:o( He's back at sea!
Text Hello Chaps, The cool running I put down to it not having a thermostat at all, after all it's a track refugee and didn't need one.
Just for info' a standard width of gaffer tape on the right side of the rad' top to bottom makes about 3 degrees difference on mine. Once the temp is up you get a really high powered crackle out of it, like there's a rorty 2 stroke in there somewhere. The thing with cool running is, too much fuel washes the oil off the bores and you get increased bore wear, so it's best to get the thing above 65C ASAP.

Steve - The plaque, try Brasso, it's just as good and is not abrasive. Use that Optimax and Advance BP fuel. That makes a difference, and a bit of octane booster works as well. Oh yes Mother, does that work! You don't need too much of it though.

Nat - Nope not fitted the mag yet (and also still got the fake back one that blo*dy German sold me ). Being out here since begining of June, but the tool kit arrived ta. Would like to, but the hols money has been hidden! So, I need another trip out here first, that'll pay for it.

Robin - You need my eMail ID? I get the impression that what was written down in the manuals and what was actually fitted to these engines was quite different. I haven't measured the bore and stroke on mine, and it is supposed to be standard cc. But it wouldn't surprise me if it wasn't. Depending on where you are in the UK, I have a couple of days spare I could ride over. Up to you like. But comparing one SPS with another would be a good idea.

Right got to pack my bag to get off this tub.

Ains. 8o)>
Old 21-Jul-2005, 23:32
Ducati Meccanica

Ains, sounds like a good idea mate.
U2u me your email address and we can sort out something.
You better be ready for a horrible sight though mate, it's bad.

cheers
robin