Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 28-Jan-2005, 15:50
Mille

brake line upgrades

Has anybody out there upgraded their 749/999 brake lines for Goodridge or similar? Any thoughts on what's best? Is it worth doing etc.
Old 28-Jan-2005, 17:15
BSB Star
Bikes: 998s, Jota, KTM 690 Duke

Mood: My Jota goes rumpety rump! & I have my wife exactly where she wants me!
Why? arn`t they braided already!
Old 28-Jan-2005, 17:29
GTL

Mood: going for a ride...
All 749/999 models come with plastic coated braided hoses , what would be the point of swapping them ?

The only possible reason would be if you were racing , the front split set up with the single hose from the /master cylinder / reservoir splitting into two hoses to the calipers is not permitted for racing , two separate hoses all the way from the master cylinder are required.
Old 28-Jan-2005, 18:07
Ducati Meccanica

Mood: Is 112 dB loud enough?? What??
Not meaning to be a stickler, but for racing the rules say that the line cannot split below the bottom yoke, which is not quite the same as two seperate lines all the way from the master cylinder. For instance, my RS has a "T" mounted on the bottom yoke.

Don't really now why I posting this. I must be really bored, or something.
Old 28-Jan-2005, 18:15
DSC Club Member
Big Twin

The question is whether aftermarket lines are a significant improvement over Ducati’s OEM lines - and enough of an improvement to warrant the cost. If better stopping power is your goal, the answer is no. If better lever feel is your objective, the answer is maybe, but probably not.

The only reason to replace the OEM lines with aftermarket lines is to try to improve the feel of the brakes at the lever. If a hydraulic line is allowed to expand and stretch, you get a spongy feel at the lever just, like when you have air in the line, but not as severe. In other words you loose the direct relationship between the force that you apply to the lever and the force that is applied to the caliper.

Do stock Ducati lines stretch and expand much different than the aftermarket lines?

No.

It’s exactly the same effect that you would get if you placed a stiff spring in series between the lever and caliper pistons. When you pull the lever the spring compresses a little before the force is applied to the brakes. It’s a feeling that you accommodate to quickly when you ride an unfamiliar bike. In a panic stop it’s actually a beneficial characteristic that helps you to avoid accidentally locking your brakes.
Old 28-Jan-2005, 20:14
Mille

Thanks Shazzam - you immediately got to the point of my question. I asked if upgrading the lines was an exercise worth investigating and what people had used.

Bikes come with tyres fitted as standard and they're all made of rubber but we all change to something different if we think it's worth doing.

(not that I don't appreciate your comments )