Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 20-Jun-2005, 17:06
BSB Star

Mood: Soon my pet, soon
Number of riders on track at any one time

Been thinking about this all day, yesterday myself and Lily, Urban996 and a few other DSC peeps were at Silverstone doing the GP circuit. As many of you will know SS is a big wide fast circuit, and long to boot (3.6 miles???)

So because of these factors there are up to and were 72 riders out on track in each session plus instructors, this didn't seem to bad for the most part but if there's a slow rider in front we were finding that people were queuing up to get past, towards the end of the day I was in a group of 20 riders battling for any free tarmac there was, no racing lines or apexes hit, pretty much carnage really, something I would think would and should be left for racing and first corner missions.

These issues were raised with the organiser (Hottrax) but nothing really improved, there were a lot of off's yesterday, mainly the fast group but it was also noted that Saturdays sold out trackday at SS again with Hottrax was near on perfect, plenty of free track and hardly any offs.

Now if I compare with say Oulton, Donny etc which is say 2.5 miles long with 40 riders on track in each session, how can SS warrant an extra 30 riders per session?

Surely better policing and less numbers would aid this problem, but I am guessing that would drag the price up also.

Any comments? WJB?
Old 20-Jun-2005, 17:17
BSB Star

Mood: the rain in spain falls mainly on me!
the worst track session i ever had was at silverstone when there were as you said loads of people piled up behind a couple of slower riders. all the other sessions were fine as everyone was fairly well spread out. in future i would just come into the pits run through them ang rejoin giving the log jam a chance to get out of my way.
Old 20-Jun-2005, 17:20
Administrator
Webteam
MotoGP God
Bikes: 748S, HM1100S, V4SP, Was: DD-A #111

Mood: Passion Killer
Quote:
Originally posted by dickieducati
in future i would just come into the pits run through them ang rejoin giving the log jam a chance to get out of my way.

Get past you, you mean?
Old 20-Jun-2005, 17:24
BSB Star

Mood: the rain in spain falls mainly on me!
oh the shame of it !
Old 20-Jun-2005, 17:30
DSC Membership Sec. & BHCN R.O.
Webteam
Big Twin
Bikes: None at the moment

Mood: Feeling old...
It wasn't me holding people up... I was too busy on the grass to get in anyone's way

Have to agree though, there were a lot of riders out there...
Old 20-Jun-2005, 17:35
Administrator
Webteam
MotoGP God
Bikes: 748S, HM1100S, V4SP, Was: DD-A #111

Mood: Passion Killer
That sounds like a hell of a lot of riders. I know that some circuits are huge and can take all those, but as you say it's when you get the odd one or two that slow everyone down and causes everyone else to bunch.

Surely the trackday organisers should be sorting this out and drop them down a group?
Old 20-Jun-2005, 17:52
Ducati in my Blood

Mood: I love my 996 xxx
I had the same issue at SS with a different TDO. 70 riders on the circuit.

In theory it's not a problem, it's less riders pro rata than 35 at Cadwell, but there was the issue of riders bunching up in big groups and also too many for the instructors to properly police.

I now prefer to use No Limits who are reputed for putting less bikes out, and there seems to be a good compromise between group size and price.

[Edited on 20-6-2005 by NBs996]
Old 20-Jun-2005, 18:14
Montjuic
Bikes: 996s; KTM500SX

Blimey was it that many per session? I counted 50 lined up just before I went out for one session and I thought that was a lot.

Being one of the slower riders (1st time at SS and 1st time in the inters) I was trying not to get in the way and trying a bit too hard sometimes as you and Lily saw when I err missed my braking point into priory!!!

I had a great day despite the numbers on track which I think was diluted by the size of the track but perhaps felt more by you fast boys (and girls)?

Glenn
ps I can verify Urban996's efforts to get out of the way witnessing several off-track excursions!!
pps Nice to meet you and Lily !!

Old 20-Jun-2005, 18:19
DSC Membership Sec. & BHCN R.O.
Webteam
Big Twin
Bikes: None at the moment

Mood: Feeling old...
Quote:
Originally posted by tgl425

ps I can verify Urban996's efforts to get out of the way witnessing several off-track excursions!!

Several? A bit harsh there Glenn.... I counted 2... ok so it was the same corner...

On the plus side, it was my first time in Inters as well and after a difficult first session I came away feeling pleased with progress.

Nice to meet everyone though...
Old 20-Jun-2005, 18:20
BSB Star

Mood: Soon my pet, soon
Quote:
Originally posted by tgl425
Blimey was it that many per session? I counted 50 lined up just before I went out for one session and I thought that was a lot.

Being one of the slower riders (1st time at SS and 1st time in the inters) I was trying not to get in the way and trying a bit too hard sometimes as you and Lily saw when I err missed my braking point into priory!!!

I had a great day despite the numbers on track which I think was diluted by the size of the track but perhaps felt more by you fast boys (and girls)?

Glenn

I thought you were doing a Rossi mate with that foot out and I was going to be Sete!!!

Good day though! and we all stayed pretty much upright