Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 10-Apr-2005, 21:59
Deceased 02/10/2010 - R.I.P.
Ducati Corse

Mood: NGRRC Minitwins champion 2007
800SS tech info\'?

Can someone pls point me in the direction of good tech info on the 800SS? I currently race an SV650 in MRO MiniTwins but, I'm considering jumping ship to the Duke. I reckon the 800SS could be the tool to have, its torque will probably kill an SV for corner exit speed...and of course being a Ducati fan it's much preferable to a Jap bike!

[Edited on 10-4-2005 by twpd]
Old 10-Apr-2005, 22:13
MotoGP God

Mood: 749 racebike MGP
Only what I've read on Ducati.com

I've thought the same thing though. Will you change mid-season or wait until next year?
Old 10-Apr-2005, 22:21
Ducati Corse

I might run them together towards from the middle of the year onwards. I'm planning on having a new bike for next year anyweay...either a 05 SV or an 800SS. If I go for the SS then it makes sense to do the development work this year in prep for next year.
Old 10-Apr-2005, 23:11
WSB Hero

Mood: Lurkin'.....
Thats if you can find an 800SS.I cant imagine Ducati sold that many.There are a few 800 Monsters around tho.
Old 10-Apr-2005, 23:39
Big Twin
Bikes: 996 race bike

Mood: Almost over it.
This might be of some help -

http://www.ourduck.com/

There's some info on here about a guy called Mike Dube who won a US series on his 800ss last season. Other info there about 750ss racing too.

Might be worth trying to contact them?
Old 11-Apr-2005, 12:50
MotoGP God

Mood: 749 racebike MGP
Quote:
Originally posted by KeefyB
Thats if you can find an 800SS.I cant imagine Ducati sold that many.There are a few 800 Monsters around tho.

I had a quick look around a few months ago and found two.

Before Desmo Due came around I was considering entering a few rounds of the Bemsee minitwins this year. Now that the rules have changed to allow 820cc air-cooled engines I have a renewed interest in it and would love to run an 800SS. Ideally I'd like Mike Edwards to allow my 620 to be bored (the 620 engine is pretty much the same as the 750 engine and will handle the Ducati bore kit to 785cc? I think it's 785 anyway) and that way my expenditure would be a little less.

Either way, it's a possibility for ext year, depending on what happens with DD and a few other pies I have fingers in.

twpd, I've had a look at your website and if you decide to run an 800SS I'd like to be involved in some way. Obviously I have my own racing and a family so time might not be too prevalent but if I could catch up with you at a few rounds and maybe help out and generally get under your feet that would be cool.

Are you doing the French round of Bemsee - Croix?
Old 21-Apr-2005, 15:13
Ducati Corse

Quote:
Originally posted by TP
Quote:
Originally posted by KeefyB

I had a quick look around a few months ago and found two.

Before Desmo Due came around I was considering entering a few rounds of the Bemsee minitwins this year. Now that the rules have changed to allow 820cc air-cooled engines I have a renewed interest in it and would love to run an 800SS. Ideally I'd like Mike Edwards to allow my 620 to be bored (the 620 engine is pretty much the same as the 750 engine and will handle the Ducati bore kit to 785cc? I think it's 785 anyway) and that way my expenditure would be a little less.

Either way, it's a possibility for ext year, depending on what happens with DD and a few other pies I have fingers in.

twpd, I've had a look at your website and if you decide to run an 800SS I'd like to be involved in some way. Obviously I have my own racing and a family so time might not be too prevalent but if I could catch up with you at a few rounds and maybe help out and generally get under your feet that would be cool.

Are you doing the French round of Bemsee - Croix?

Feel free to catch up with me or mail me with anything you might like to know. I'm just looking at the feasibility of running the 800SS atm. There's not many around and the prices are fairly high so, I'm having doubts about the financial viability of doing it. It looks like a bike is going to cost ~£4500. Factor in another £1500-£2000 to get it race-ready and it starts looking rather expensive. We shall see.

I doubt I am doing Croix - I'm concentrating on MRO atm although I might do a few club rounds with Bemsee, NG and DPMCC. My race schedule is a bit uncertain right now except for MRO stuff but, I expect to be at Brands sometime soon - I'll let you know when I am.
Old 21-Apr-2005, 15:43
Big Twin

Mood: Sans moto
this might help

800ss
Old 21-Apr-2005, 19:44
Ducati Corse

Thanks 22. I was hoping I could find some info such as real-life dyno and tuning work. Any ideas?
Old 22-Apr-2005, 09:59
Big Twin

Mood: Sans moto
could be worth giving John Hacket (JHP Ducati Coventry) a call