Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 06-Apr-2005, 04:16
500SD
Bikes: ST4S

Head Bearings

Just have my 750SS in for safety inspection dealer said there is a little bit of play in the front stem head bearing. Probably needs servicing, but it runs about 45,000 yen ($400) here. I have seen sites discussing how to do a service and I am thinking about doing it myself. Full faining 93 SS willl require fairing removal, front fork removal, etc. but do any of you have a site or photo gallery of how it is done.
Cheers

Bikeless in the spring!
Old 07-Apr-2005, 10:49
GTL

Don't have any pics but I've just done it and found it relatively easy (which means it must be very easy!) As you say it's pretty much step-by-step, remove fairing, get the front end supported(I have an engine stand), remove guard, wheel, forks etc. Ashamed to say I used a mallet and substantial screwdriver to loosen C-ring but managed not to mark it. You might want to mark where your forks are in the yokes before dropping them out, and take a note of the order that locking nut, washers etc come out in.
Haynes is okay as a guide for this though from memory the pics aren't particularly instructive.
Old 07-Apr-2005, 11:11
500SD

Thanks Dukes,
I have a Ducati Service manual, but I haven't looked at it lately. Not too great, but passable. I also recollect an article on this in one of the Japanese Duck magazines I have. Just need to dig it up. But your words of advice will be helpful, when and if I decide to do it. Need to figure out a good support system first. Maybe support it from the rafters of my little garage with a box underneath the engine or something. As someone mentioned on another post, it will probably be wise to take photos along the way to keep things in order.l
Old 07-Apr-2005, 11:19
WSB Hero
Bikes: 1993 - 944SS & Aprilia Falco

Hi there!

I thought there was an article here...

http://www.ducatisuite.com/home.html

but it turns out not - I've done the job myself and the hardest part was getting the inner race off the bottom yoke stem. Ended up taking it into work and using an oxy-acetelene torch on the swine

Good fork write up here with a nice idea for a stand.....

http://www.mcmototech.com/virtual/SHOWA.HTM

Here is some related rubbish Ive written - lol

http://217.199.188.40/xmb/viewthread.php?tid=8094

http://217.199.188.40/xmb/viewthread.php?tid=8210

Good luck !!!
Old 07-Apr-2005, 21:38
Big Twin

Mood: is it cos i is a bricklayer
found these use full when performing the headstock bearing change better than a screwdriver and mallet technique also usefull for rear shock adjusting!!

http://www.toolbank.com/category.cfm...8c40gy 8c405i
Old 07-Apr-2005, 23:21
500SD

Mood: UKGS'ers Non PC and Vibrant
bottom race

Mad Dog
Just removed the bearings off my T8 the bottom inner race I removed with a dremel with the little cutting disc attatchment cut through as far as possible without touching the yoke.
then with a small sharp chisel place in the groove and tap with one hard blow this splits the shell and it then pulls free.
make sure you have the yoke on flat but shock absorbing surface I used a bit of hardboard on the metal work bench.
hope this helps
ian
Old 08-Apr-2005, 04:53
500SD

Muchas Gracias Senores!

Looked through the links (toolbank one is expired though) and liked what I saw. WIll try the stand. I hoipe bearings don't need replacement (not too many wheelies with my 750) but I should be prepared for it. Think I will change the oil in the forks as well. Will try to take a photo record to add to all the great stuff you turned me onto, if I discover anything worthwhile.

Cheers!
Old 08-Apr-2005, 08:29
WSB Hero
Bikes: 1993 - 944SS & Aprilia Falco

Hmmmmm....good info, especially the Dremmel tip - I like that one!

Toolbank link worked for me and is a hook wrench as pictured:

As an aside for outer races, I also hired a slide hammer once with a tube that had an expanding lower collar - this was for more difficult to get recessed bearings but on Dukes and nice long piece of thick rod should do the job nicely.

Frank
Old 08-Apr-2005, 09:53
500SD

Thanks Frank. Link just gave me an error. Probably end up doing this in beggining of May when there are a few holidays around.
Old 09-Apr-2005, 18:20
500SD

Mood: UKGS'ers Non PC and Vibrant
head bearings

Maddog
I dont know how old your bike is but I would suggest you change them anyway dont bother to regrease as this isnt practical as the wear will still be in one place.
the difference in the smoothness after id changed mine was considerable even without the forks in.
i can send you the c spanner in the post if you want to borrow mine, and the dremel.
ian