Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 06-May-2005, 00:43
Big Twin
Bikes: 996 race bike

Mood: Almost over it.
New Bike - 2002 900ss

Well, I have collected the new bike and done a quick 75 miles or so to see how things went.

Overall I guess I'm reasonably happy with it. On a very close inspection there's probably a little more wear and tear than I expected from the advertisement.

Mentioned were some scrapes on the exhaust and right lever/mirror. However, when looking closely you can see that all the right hand fairing panels have been resprayed (the dirty rubbing water left in cracks and recesses was a give away). This is not such a huge issue, except that the painter did a bit of a crap job on the top panel and it is full of pin holes. There are also scrapes on the Marchesini rim that weren't noted.

When you buy something on eBay you have to expect stuff like this - for the price I paid and a bike with less than 5,000 miles on the clock, I'm still pretty happy with my purchase.

Strangely enough I'm not over the moon and hyper excited though. I've wanted a 900ss for a long time now, but looking at my 750ss sitting there I kind of feel sad to see it go soon. (it's been emotional)

Compared to my 1999 750ss I've noted the following:

- the clutch seems a lot lighter.
- the bike turns in better (Marchesini wheels or am I kidding myself?)
- the bike doesn't have as much "go" down low. (750ss does have 14t front sprocket though)
- 900ss has much more top end. Accelerating from 90mph to 120mph with ease. 750ss really started to struggle above 100mph.
- strangely the 900ss seems to have a lower ride height than the 750ss. As I still have both bikes I'm going to try some more comparisons on this.
- the bars seem lower on the 900ss
- the instrument panel seems further away and the bike feels longer in general
- with that OEM cans on the 900ss, I find it really hard to judge how fast I am going and which gear I am in. Just shows how much I have come to rely on the sound of the carbon SIL cans on the 750ss to suit my riding.

More pictures here -

http://www.kapitalworks.co.uk/desmodue/900ss/05-05/

P.S. The better half went ballistic because I hadn't told her I was buying a new bike. It's going to cost me pretty to get back in her good books. Maybe this wasn't such a bargain after all.......

[Edited on 5-5-2005 by phillc]
Old 06-May-2005, 03:16
Ducati Corse

Mood: Bloo and Yellow.. and Red now ;)
Still looks pretty good value Phill

The gearing change would certainly liven things up a bit.
Has the 750 got adjustable suspension? I can't remember. If not, that'll help the handling.

Best hold off on the head conversion for a while then if the missus didn't appreciate the newcomer then ???
Old 06-May-2005, 10:37
Big Twin

Mood: Sans moto
A 14 T sprocket is a must, they are way overgeared and this livens them up a treat. For the ride height, check the sag as a previous owner may have reduced the pre load.

Nattyboy has some new panels, but just noticed yours is red and not the fast colour

enjoy it mate and see you around sometime
Old 06-May-2005, 18:33
Big Twin
Bikes: 996 race bike

Mood: Almost over it.
Woo!

The carbon SIL end cans from my 1999 750ss do fit the 2002 900ss. At least she sounds about right now. Guess I'll still be needing ECU work though.

Next trick is to get the double bubble screen off the 750ss and onto the new bike. At 90mph with standard screen I was nearly blown off the back.
Old 06-May-2005, 19:44
MotoGP God

Mood: 749 racebike MGP
Excellent work mate - if I was you I'd buy shares in the local flower company though

A bit more champagne? Especially while the guest is still around and she's not going to go troppo on you in front of them!

It's looking good, even with the minor niggles I still reckon you've got a good deal. Get those good bits swapped over, get a 14 tooth front sprocket on and the only difference you'll notice is on the throttle.

GWF!