Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 28-Sep-2003, 21:22

749 electrics/Ducati Recovery

Beware Ducati Electrics as dodgy as ever, out riding last Sunday when engine block light came on, didn't think too much as it sometimes comes whilst riding clutch at junctions etc. However got to Salisbury, parked bike up switched it off and gave it a few minutes to calm down but wouldn't start again !Eventually the wife bought my master keys out and i attempted to reset the system.no joy.
Phoned Ducati assistance who put the AA on to me, they said it would be a couple of hours so i sat and waited. AA phoned back and said they had no recovery available so best thing i could do was to park my bike get a taxi home (15 miles) and they would collect the bike in the morning...Sod that i waited 5 1/2 got picked up in the end and got the bike to garage for fixing.
The fault was a chaffed wire i the electrical harness, a fault found in a few new bikes, so beware or have an epic
Old 28-Sep-2003, 21:40

Dodgy wiring

Sorry to hear about your dilema! When I first got my 749s on hearing bad reports from owners I stripped most of the body panels off to inspect the harness, I had to slightly re-routed the loom in a couple of places, it was amazing how many wires were so tight you could nearly play a tune on them! add to that the crap quality connectors last seen on on a mini under the front panel! I think Ducati should really try and improve this area.
Old 29-Sep-2003, 00:48
Ducati Corse

Coming back from WSB at Brands end of July, my 998 cuts out on the A3 about 8 miles from home. Called Ducati Assist and told AA will be right out. It took 4 hours to be collected

Finally got home after midnight - if I'd have know it would take that long I'd have pushed it home. Same problem by the way but it took 3 weeks to get a dealer to see the bike - they were all too busy.

AA man admitted they do not have enough motorcycle recovery vehicles and try and farm the jobs out - if no one local wants it, especially on a Sunday night - you can sit there for hours until someone finally agrees to pick you up.

Outrageous