Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 19-May-2014, 22:06

Tank swap on 620 (2002) to a 600 (2002)

Hi all,

I am after a bit of advice, i bought a 2002 620 Monster 620ie and it had been stood not used for a while (had been fully serviced before i bought it)....

After i bought it, we found it would not rev out and starting stuttering at around 7k - after some investigation we found that the tank was rotten and the fuel filter was being blocked up..

I got the tank steam cleaned and replaced the fuel filter and it runs like a dream - though an odd hole has started to form and it will just keep on rusting. I bought a second hand tank off a 600 (same year) which i thought was the same - only to find out it is different. Please can someone with some experience have a look at the two pics below and let me know if it is possible to swap these around?

One thing i have noticed, is that my current tank (silver) has the fuel filter inside while the new tank (purple) looks like it has an external filter... or do i have this wrong?

https://db.tt/6QfnjsJf - pics of both tanks

If i am correct, I would say i need the following filter: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Genuine-Du...em27da5 70fb4

With this filter i would need someway on fixing it to the tank with a clip - is this all possible or am i crazy? It seems fairly easy, but i could be overlooking something...

Thanks in advance...
Old 19-May-2014, 22:30
MotoGP God

Mood: Its ONLY a Bike Club
Sorry to say the 600 tank isn't suitable for the 620 neither is the fuel filter you have linked two.
The 620 tank has an electric fuel pump inside it delivering 3-Bar of pressure, as such it uses a fuel filter (also inside the tank) that is capable of handling such pressures. The 620 Tank also has a return pipe back from the fuel regulator that is attached to the throttle bodies.

A plastic tank as fitted to mant of the monsters from around 2004 onwards would be one solution but they use a different fuel pump which you would also need to get and as this fuel pump assembly also contains the fuel pressure regulator you really should remove the one that is on the throttle bodies

Checkout the Desmo Due Paddock on Facebook
Old 19-May-2014, 22:34

Skidlids,

Thanks for letting me know, i have just been out and had a look and you are correct the 620 has a return pipe

Do you know any good breakers as i would need a 620 tank by the look of it I will see if they will part x my 600 tank...
Old 19-May-2014, 22:53
MotoGP God

Many breakers now seem to use Ebay
Other Steel tanks that should fit would be those from the following Monsters

M900ie
M750ie
S4
M800

Models such as the 695, S2R, S4R and S4RS all have plastic tanks

Old 19-May-2014, 23:11

Thanks very much for all your help!
Old 23-May-2014, 15:26

After your advice I have got a plastic tank as it should stop any problems in the future. I just need to get the fuel pump assembly (+ remove the regulator) and I was wondering if you happen to know if the Monster 2004+ with the plastic tank uses the same as the ST2 as the sizes look the same (an example below):

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DUCATI-oem...item3ce18331b9

I know the ST2 size is about 120mm (diameter), I just have not got home to check the size of the plastic tank yet... If it is then I think i am lucky... though i know it might not be as simple as what i think..

I got some info from here...

http://www.ukmonster.co.uk/monster/s...80&postcount=2

This also makes me think that the fuel pump will work...

http://pnwriders.com/motorcycle-talk...ml#post3054925

Last edited by cundall : 23-May-2014 at 15:32.
Old 23-May-2014, 21:42
MotoGP God

St2 pump does NOT fit. Its o ring goes up I side the tank to form the seal. The Monster one doesn't as it seals against the bottom of the tank

Old 24-May-2014, 18:19

Skidlids - thanks very much for this info!

I will keep on searching for the fuel pump assembly for the Monster - I will order the hinge now...

I will get my bike on the road - thanks to you... now I only need to select which colour to make it.