Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 23-May-2003, 23:25

Mood: Still smiling
Niggles

A couple of niggles with my Multistrada which came to light this week and may be of interest.

Firstly the two bottom instrument panel brackets sheared, fortunately the top bracket stayed secure but I still had to tie wrap the instrument panel to the top fairing bracket to keep it from dropping off. Anybody else seen this ?

Secondly a couple of times this week after riding in torrential rain I could see moisture on the inside of the indicator lights. To be fair this was after riding in the most horrendous downpours but even so it seems water can find its way into the indicator console, which is not good.

Should I worry ?

Nick
Old 24-May-2003, 19:21
WSB Hero

Mood: Lurkin'.....
Hey Nick,
Keep the news of all the niggles coming.I ordered a 'Strada months ago and have only just been told that its arrived at the dealers.From this and your previous postings,I am slowly but surely changing my mind.I was going to use the 'Strada as an alternative to my 998S and as a winter steed.With its lack of huggers/belly pans and now this,it seems it may not be the bike for me.My current winter bike is a Cagiva Navigator that has been very reliable,the only warranty claim was a wonky mirror.Its done two British winters and and ridden in all weathers,yet still cleans up well.If only it had a Duke motor!
Good luck with your Multistrada,it sounds like my money may be going elswhere.

Now where are those s/h ST2 prices?
Old 25-May-2003, 00:13

I bought my Multistrada as a year round everyday bike and I honestly think once I get my hugger and front mudguard extender fitted it's going to be ok in deepest darkest winter as long as I hose it down after use and coat it in Scottoiler FS 365. My bike has looked like a right winter hack in the past couple of weeks of rain, mud, rain and more mud, covered in absolute cr*p but it washes off fine. My old VFR was a bit of a pig to look after in winter with its mild steel exhaust system being particularly vulnerable. Despite the niggles and question marks I'm still excited every time I think about riding my Multistrada I like it that much - shame it's not parked next to a 998s though !

Nick

[Edited on 24-5-2003 by nicksp]
Old 25-May-2003, 07:19
WSB Hero

Mood: Lurkin'.....
Thanks for the info,have you ordered your huggers etc yet?If so,how much are they?
I reckon the bike needs a rear hugger,belly pan and a front guard extender.
Are you gonna buy DP stuff or wait till the aftermarket parts start appearing?
Old 27-May-2003, 11:24
Mille

Mood: Electrically challenged
Nothing Nicksp, or anyone else for that matter, can say is going to put the dampeners on me picking up my new Multistrada this Friday. Did my last 350mile blast on the 996 yesterday. Its new owner picks it up at weekend. As for MS, I've ordered carbon belly pan (£158), hugger (£146), panniers (£486), high screen (£60), rear seat cover/cowl (£147), centre stand (£129) and Termis (a bargain at £689) from DP catalogue but my Dealer doubts any of this will be available for some time. Can't see a front guard extender in catalogue only a direct carbon replacement. Roll on Friday!!!!!!!!
Old 27-May-2003, 23:11

Thanks for the price info. My hugger has been on order for a few weeks and after checking with the dealer today I found out it was £140 ish - I also heard it might be a while before I see it. Good luck on Friday, is it silver or red ?

Nick
Old 05-Jun-2003, 10:32
Ducati in my Blood

Mood: stiff and tired
Nick

Hello! Haven't seen you out and about locally, you will have to pop down to the crown and say hello so we can have a look at the Multistrada for real.
Old 05-Jun-2003, 17:10
Mille

Mood: Electrically challenged
Nick, after clocking up 250miles at weekend on my new MS I've just added the 'Comfort' seat to the long list of extra bits I've ordered. The old 996 never numbed my a*s like the MS can, not even after a 750mile 14hour, non-stop, rain-sodden hike thro' France last Summer. Does it affect you in same way?

I've also just been advised that of the DP bits on order panniers and high screen will be first to arrive mid-July, carbon and other bits following on thereafter. Termis and chip apparently still under development and unlikely to be here befor August/September.
The bike really is brilliant though!!!!!!!!

[Edited on 5-6-2003 by luckywhiteheather]
Old 05-Jun-2003, 23:43

Can't say I have had a numb a*s yet, but then I have plenty of cushion in the old rear department ! I agree though that the seat is plank like. How do you find it compares with your 996 then? is it possible that nailing 2nd or 3rd gear out of corners can be more fun than the MS, bearing in mind I have never ridden a twin before my MS?

lily - I would be more than happy to pop down the the Crown so you can check out the MS, especially as I only live two minutes ride away - which night is bikers night ?? ( I don't get out as much as I used to !!!)

Nick