Ducati Sporting Club UK
Technical - Help or Info - NON Motorcycle
PC's, Internet etc. Cars, or how to fix that leaky radiator - in here please!

Old 03-Apr-2005, 13:34
WSB Hero
Bikes: 1993 - 944SS & Aprilia Falco

Wireless network/PC stuff + a small Ebay prob....

Well.....instead of reformatting my hard drive I of course end up putting even more stuff on!

Thanks 2 the advice on here I've now got 2/3rds of a wireless network up and running and am very impressed (so far) with the Netgear equipment I bought of Ebay.

The problem was the wireless firewall router that I bought (which fair enough I knew was refurbished) was supposed to come with a quote "UK Power supply".

Hmmmmm....actually it was a universal power supply suitable for UK voltage BUT ACTUALLY HAD A 2 PIN USA FITTING !!!

I was a bit miffed as I was itching to get everything running straight way - I knew adaptors were quite easy to get but I decided on another route.........

Its strange how automotive knowledge can be used in other places - Two female electrical connectors opened up slightly slipped on a treat and wired up to a 3-pin plug means I didnt buy anything extra at all and was up and running 15 mins later.

just be aware of this little EBay scam boys and girls - I could of got the same item cheaper as peeps are also selling them without a power supply as well - but quite a bit of chew to get the right stablised supply I guess (Tandy & Argos both do reasonable multi plug DC power supplies but obviously, you need to be careful).

SO the router works fine and my wifes laptop now has a wireless net connection which I'm very impressed with - now I just want to learn how the Firewall works before deciding if I can remove my software firewall and let the hardware do its stuff before going the whole hog and fiting the PCI card in the main PC to go fully wireless (ethernet cable at present) any comments welcomed !!!!

Regards - Frank
Old 03-Apr-2005, 14:14
Ducati Meccanica

Mood: Damp
Hi Frank,

You should be able to fit the wireless PCI card in your PC anyway. I do all my router config via a browser and have never connected the pc to router other than wirelessly, so even if you have to change the firewall settings later I should imagine you can do so by a browser interface.

I can't help with the firewall stuff as I run sygate on both PCs and it seems to do the job well enough.

Cheers,

Ali
Old 03-Apr-2005, 14:59
WSB Hero
Bikes: 1993 - 944SS & Aprilia Falco

Thanks Ali,

I'm sure I'll get there in the end - the manufacturers website is pretty good but I'm just taking things slowly at the moment instead of jumping in with both feet (which is unusual for me - lol).

I'm running Zone Alarm firewall s/ware at present and its done a pretty good job really but, if the hardware can do the job instead and lessen the load on the PC then I'm all for it!

Thanks for the reply marra - I know how busy you must be with DD - I'm having a hard time just getting my trackbike ready around family life, nevermind trying to go racing !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cheers - Frank
Old 04-Apr-2005, 00:06
Big Twin

Frank,

The hardware firewall will block everything coming from the internet by default. Stopping people coming in, but not you going out (it's a bit like barring all incoming calls). This is usually the default state for Netgear kit.

So, if you don't need to allow anyone from the internet access to your PC / Laptop etc, then you don't need to change a thing, and this is pretty much the usual state of affairs for a home user.