Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 11-Mar-2005, 11:59

Viewing a 996SPS, average price?

Hi,

Well tomorrow Im going to view a 996SPS 2001 'Y' reg full ohlins model, 1,400 miles (yes thats right!! there is a story behind the low mileage but I will save judgement until I see it in the flesh).

It has all the extra parts like two sets of cans, chips, stand and cover. Private sale, supposed to immaculate with a FSH, though that is questionable since it stood for the first 3 years as an ornament, then had a belt service the beginning of last year, so assume it hasnt had a service every year of its life.

So two things, price : asking £8,700 but open to offers, so I'm thinking closer to £8000, is this about right ?? Service : probably about a year since a belt change, so will it need another or just an annual freshen up, how much from someone like Forza/Baines ??

Unfortunately I decided I couldnt quite stretch to a mint 996R, so an SPS it is...
Old 11-Mar-2005, 12:06
everton

Sounds good based on the mileage - I'd try for £8K pointing out the service requirements etc. If it has been an ornament for a few years why is being sold?

I miss my 996SPS

But I love my 999R......no more back or wrist ache
Old 11-Mar-2005, 12:06
BSB Star

Mood: Has change happened...must of missed it!
Wheres the bike, does anyone know it?
Old 11-Mar-2005, 12:10

Quote:
Originally posted by andyb
Wheres the bike, does anyone know it?

Currently near Hartford, he bought it a year ago, before that it was in an Arabs (Lamboughini dealer owner??)conservatory!!...so the story goes.
Old 11-Mar-2005, 12:21
Ducati Meccanica

Mood: Found a CR250. Let the bone braking begin
it wont take much to see if it is on a genuine 1400 mile's
if it is id say go for it if you can get a few pounds off, if it looks like the Speedo has been changed or nuts and bolts are rusty, walk away. Never trust anyone who lies about a bike's history,
O and good luck

[Edited on 11-3-2005 by keefer]
Old 11-Mar-2005, 13:06
Ducati Corse

Mood: Daft as MartinH after too much Smirnoff Ice
I've just sold mine for the full asking price, but have been monitoring SPS prices, both privately and in dealers.

Year 2000 models with Ohlins forks range from £7500 privately over the winter, upto £9500 in a dealer, although between £8000 & £8700 seems to be the going rate.

If its as good as claimed its worth something in that range and but better at closer to £8000 bearing in mind it would be best to give it a full service. Mine had just had the full service done 400 miles before i decided to sell it.

Good luck, but always be cynical when buying, i saw some mutton dressed as lamb before i got mine.
Old 25-Mar-2005, 19:26

Well, the above mentioned bike was not for me, turned out to have no service history at all and the condition just didnt seem good enough, so I walked away how anyone can pay about £17k for a bike and not bother to get it serviced is beyond me!!

but...

I've just put a deposit on a 996SPS 2000 'W' full ohlins , 5,400 fully documented and serviced miles, loads of history and receipts, seems a very genuine bike, been with the present owner since it was 3 months old. Complete with all the SPS extras as well as extra carbon bits and bobs :P hopefully pick her up tomorrow or sunday.

Should be good to back on a duke, I defected to that other Italian marque then to the japs for the last 4 years, before that I had a 748SP then 748SPS, can't wait
Old 25-Mar-2005, 19:33
Ducati Meccanica

Mood: Found a CR250. Let the bone braking begin
good
all's well that ends well
Old 25-Mar-2005, 21:11
Big Twin

Mood: renegade sexy racer
well done that man
Old 26-Mar-2005, 10:26
MotoGP God
Bikes: 848, M620 DD bike

Mood: waiting...
cool, not sure where ur based but look forward to seeing it.