Ducati Sporting Club UK
DesmoDue - General Questions and Chat
Discussions on the race series devised and supported by the DSC.

Old 03-Aug-2006, 15:59
Big Twin

Mood: DD 2006: 4th Top Rookie. DD 2007: 2nd Class B. DD 2008: 2nd Class B.
thats fine with me. but do we real need some one full time to look after us. can some one explain this one a bit more to me
Old 03-Aug-2006, 16:03
DSC Club Member
WSB Hero

OK, I may as well get flamed for this one.

At the moment, the two MT members on the RC have other committments within the DSC on top of DD.

I believe it would be better to have someone who is soley responsible for DD matters and nothing else, as opposed to being Chairman/PR man/Treasurer/Window Cleaner and on the DD committee.

One person, who knows everything, knows everyone, is fully clued up on current events and happenings - and doesn't have to consult someone else who could be in Spain for 2 weeks.

That's the idea anyway.
Old 03-Aug-2006, 16:07
Ducati Meccanica

Mood: ooooh
This one person I assume would be there for the day to day running and not a decision maker ? This I agree with as it then gives the MT and RC members time to concentrate on their other responsibilities
Old 03-Aug-2006, 16:17
DSC Club Member
WSB Hero

Hopefully by the first day of the new season, there shouldn't be any decisions to be made anyway.

Any decisions that affect the riders, should be decided upon (where possible) by the riders.

The DD person will essentially be a point of contact for the riders, sponsors and club(s) who run the series. I'm sure the MT will have a level of responsibility when it comes to dealing with Ducati/Shell/Pirelli etc. but the day-to-day running etc will be dealt with by this one person.

Much like the money is dealt with by the treasurer, and the memberships by the membership sec, and the chairs by the... well you know

That's my idea of how it should work anyway.

This person needs to be pro-active and help promote the series, not just handle questions and run votes etc
Old 03-Aug-2006, 16:21
500SD

Mood: Moto Guzzi are the new Ducati??
Changes!

Racing: given the same format as now, I would prefare mornining practice to be untimed so that those who cannot afford the time away from work aren't forced to do a manic 4 lap or less superpole with new tyres and a guess at gearing and set-up.
Grid positions for race 1 could be as per championship positions before the round and race 2 as per results of race 1.
Old 03-Aug-2006, 16:28
DSC Club Member
WSB Hero

Even better to have 10 mins untimed practice and then 10 mins qualifying.

I'll be honest I do find that 3 laps is normally about all that's worth doing in qualifying, coz then you get in to too much traffic. So 10 mins qually is enough for me personally. Would be nice to have untimed practice too though.

I see exactly what you're saying about doing it by championship positions, but what if you're fastest at Donington, but 17th in the championship. That's a fifth row start, when you'd probably enjoy a pole position.

Could maybe use the race 1 result as the grid for race 2 though.

What happens if you fall off in race 1? or get pushed in the gravel and go from 4th to 15th on the last lap?
Old 03-Aug-2006, 16:29
500SD

Mood: Moto Guzzi are the new Ducati??
Changes!

I'm uneasy with the thought of one person running everything! It would be easy for example, for that person to be accused of representing there own views and those of their close racing buddies rather than the views of the majority riders. That kind of pressure for one person... not fair !
All riders then become committee members and polling the opinion of 50 odd people is very difficult for the RC at the moment.
As we already have a race committee, doesn't it make more sense to correct faults with it(if any) rather than compound those faults with another layer of government!!

Isn't that a wedge!!
Old 03-Aug-2006, 16:35
Ducati Corse

Mood: R U thinking what I'm thinking?......Oh dear!
Quote:
Originally Posted by domski
OK, I may as well get flamed for this one.

At the moment, the two MT members on the RC have other committments within the DSC on top of DD.

I believe it would be better to have someone who is soley responsible for DD matters and nothing else, as opposed to being Chairman/PR man/Treasurer/Window Cleaner and on the DD committee.

One person, who knows everything, knows everyone, is fully clued up on current events and happenings - and doesn't have to consult someone else who could be in Spain for 2 weeks.

That's the idea anyway.

Quite a task knowing everything and everyone. Not consulting anyone sounds like some sort or autocracy or puppet leader not sure which. Is this some sort of initial sounding with a view to declare independance from the club that resourced the set up of the championship?

What do mean by "Full time" as in paid for job? if so who picks up the wage bill, employing someone is a whole different ball game.

or do you mean no other DSC responsibilities?

Whichever it is I suspect their workload would reduce greatly as soon as the "question machine" was offline!

Like I said yesterday "high maintenance"

Ray.
Old 03-Aug-2006, 16:39
Big Twin

Mood: Ducati-less!
I vote for no people called Dom to compete.

Old 03-Aug-2006, 16:41
DSC Club Member
WSB Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLC Racing
I'm uneasy with the thought of one person running everything! It would be easy for example, for that person to be accused of representing there own views and those of their close racing buddies rather than the views of the majority riders. That kind of pressure for one person... not fair !

That could easily happen now - it doesn't though.

Also, there would be no way of affecting the series to benefit their mates, unless the majority voted in that way anyway.

As I have said previously, this is not a decision making position, it's an admin position where all the main points are set in stone before the season begins, and anything which may then affect anyone, is decided by those people it affects.

I also think that this position should be decided by a vote. Candidates put themselves forward, voted for by the riders in a transparent vote - perhaps at Cadwell by show of hands (then noboby can say it's a fix). Then every season the position is up for grabs. They are accountable for their actions.

Quote:
All riders then become committee members and polling the opinion of 50 odd people is very difficult for the RC at the moment.

There won't be 50 people next year. Also, a process needs to be put in place whereby all concerned can be contacted, rather than just sending out an email to some, and a pronto advert for others. If needs be, send out an initial email, then phone those who don't reply.

Quote:
As we already have a race committee, doesn't it make more sense to correct faults with it(if any) rather than compound those faults with another layer of government!!

Isn't that a wedge!!

I don't think it works as well as it could at the moment, and neither do others - as you can see by the replies above. It's not a wedge, it's an attempt at an improvement.