Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 20-Jan-2005, 22:13
Big Twin

Mood: happy
is it necessary

is it necessary to fit a power commander to bikes which run termis, even though they have the correct ECU fitted. I have read a lot about them and many of you do recommend them. I have a 996R 2001. i presume until you have the fueling checked you dont know. price including fitting?
Old 20-Jan-2005, 22:18
Ducati Meccanica

Mood: Found a CR250. Let the bone braking begin
I thought you could get a chip adjusted when you have a dyno run.
that way you can see exactly what you are getting ?
Old 20-Jan-2005, 22:26
BSB Star

Mood: Has change happened...must of missed it!
The perameters of adjustment within a "chip" are quite corse!
You only need to look at say a 748r 996 old style 8 leg chip to see that.

At least the CPu's on the 996r 998 etc have a lot more wires, which means a lot more info into the cpu.

Have a look at www.powercommander.com and look at any of the fuelling set ups for any modification on any bike. The number of numbers across not only rev range, but also at a variety of throttle openings, is vast!
Old 21-Jan-2005, 10:27
BSB Star
Bikes: 998s, Jota, KTM 690 Duke

Mood: My Jota goes rumpety rump! & I have my wife exactly where she wants me!
Adam
I had a very interesting chat with John Hacket at JHP about air filters the other day and he was quite adamant that a power comander is a good thing to fit to get the best out of a 998s with pipes and filters. The machine needs to set up on a dyno to get the best out of the camander mapping which alows for different setting for front and rear cylinders. I cant see any reason why this should not apply to older models considering the 996R has the same enging (almost) as the 998s.

Regards
Bob.G
Old 21-Jan-2005, 11:40
Big Twin

I'm bored as well Steve so here goes...!

Can't say I agree with your comments there...I mean where do you draw the line? As a racer you will know better than anyone that its all about how the bike feels and rider confidence.

Every little helps, and with a Powercommander, they do have a good reputation for sorting out how well the bike runs...which may or may not be an issue in this case?

And as for not needing the 'extra power' etc...I believe you recommended recently changing from a stock 525 chain to a 520 on a Duke...because it will 'spin up quicker'...and therefore increase performance. How miniscule would that increase in performance be!!!!

You could carry this discussion on for ever...I mean...do you really need an uprated Master cylinder, or lighter wheels blah blah blah...not really, but if it make the bike handle sweeter and the owner happy...everyones a winner.

This reminds me of the thread about how much of the bikes potential do you use...lets not go there again!!!
Old 21-Jan-2005, 12:42
Big Twin

So what are the benifits from fitting a PC to a Duke?

I assume ( as I don't have one) that the bike 'should' run smoother and you have the piece of mind that the mixture etc is spot on for all throttle postions etc?

And if these aspects are running at optimum, then I guess its going to boost power also..but how much over a £35 chip from the likes of JHP?

Anyone know or done this mod?
Old 21-Jan-2005, 12:59
Mille

Mood: Built for comfort, not speed
I found better mid range throttle response after fitting one, nowt noticeable at the top end at the time. Fuel consumption improved by 20 miles/tank so you would get your money back eventually. Really fitted ready for future mods.
Old 21-Jan-2005, 13:17
Mille

Mood: 1098s...oh yes
Surely it's about owing a performance piece of machinary that run's correctly, not weather you are wanna be racer, road rider or decide to tour.
This is a fair question as I own a 999 that's never ran correctly with the race system fitted. It really kills when people express such wild views on weather bikes are overpowered, without knowing the individuals riding experience and pleasure they get from owing a ducati.
Old 21-Jan-2005, 13:38

I used to have a 996R, and found if set up propertly with the race ECU that comes with the bike and the open pipes on it fuels beautifuly, no flat spots, no fluffy bits and no hesitation.
Try putting the standard ECU in and you'll notice a huge difference, big flat spot around 5-6k and general fluffyness.
I'd be very suprised if a PC offered anything over the race ECU. Top bike, wish I'd never sold mine.......... (violins out please!), in fact it's now my ambition in life to get another!

[Edited on 21-1-2005 by MaccLad]

[Edited on 21-1-2005 by MaccLad]
Old 21-Jan-2005, 13:59
Ducati Meccanica

Mood: Found a CR250. Let the bone braking begin
im with you on this weeks. well maybe not the way you put it.
I wouldn't chuck the money at a PC. how often have we seen power enhancing equipment that offers SO MUCH but delivers so little.
as someone said earlier I just went with the ultimap chip and a wee tweak. and its smooth as.
but hey what ever flick's your switch

[Edited on 21-1-2005 by keefer]