Ducati Sporting Club UK
Ducati Insurance - Questions and Answers!
This section allows you to ask questions about insurance directly to Ducati Insurance and receive a reply!

Old 31-Dec-2013, 13:14
Bikes: Ducati 1199 Panigale

Insurance advice please.

Hi,

I am finishing the year with sad news, cause i sold my Panigale last month. I live in London and i didnīt see the point of having a Superbike here.
I still donīt know fellows to ride with and a bike like this is not for huge traffic and commuting...

So now iīm bikeless but thinking about getting another one. Despite i love racing bikes, i guess the best option for me now would be a Monster ( I am in between the new 1200 or perhaps a cheaper option, a second hand 1100evo...).

But iīve been told that having a motorbike in the UK isnīt cheap at all and i am a bit scared. Insurance, taxes, parking in London!

So, before doing anything iīd like to have an idea of how much would it cost me, starting for the insurance of the bike.

Any aprox figure for a reasonable insurance for one of those Monsters? Is it any difference in prize under 1000 cc? (in that case i would consider the 796).

Thank you in advance.
Cheers.
Old 31-Dec-2013, 19:18
Mille
Bikes: Monster 796, Class B 600ss

I live in Uxbridge, way out west London
I am 35
I work in IT.
I ride a Monster 796
I have had my full bike license for 2 years
I have had my car license for about 9 years
I own a car
I have 3 points that are due to come off in 5 months.
I have done bike safe
I have had one accident that is going to court and will hopefully rule in my favour.
I have zero years NCD
The bike is parked on a drive way.
It has an alarm and a tracker.
It's used for social and commuting.

With Swindlers, I pay Ģ1700 a year, plus all the added crap they put on for paying monthly, so it comes in to around Ģ2000.

I called Ducati insurance a month or so ago, and they said they would be able to do it for I think Ģ900 a month with 1 years NCD and Ģ700 with 2 years.

That is fully comp.

Hope that helps!

Also, if you buy a monster then check out the good people at ukmonster.co.uk
Old 31-Dec-2013, 19:59
Bikes: Ducati 1199 Panigale

Hi! thanks for the info

2000 pounds a year???? that is a lot! I was paying 1000 euros a year in Spain for a Brand new Panigale, full insurance, all extras included!

Wow... is so expensive in here.
I really need to do numbers... Will ask around a bit more cause if i donīt find something cheaper than that...
Old 01-Jan-2014, 11:57
MotoGP God

Mood: Its ONLY a Bike Club
Living in London certainly seems to add a premium to insuring a bike, especially if it's not garaged.
Living in Oxford with full no claims and 5 bikes on the insurance including the modified 998R and the 1100 Monster I pay between Ģ450 and Ģ500 a year with Ducati Insurance

Checkout the Desmo Due Paddock on Facebook
Old 27-Jan-2014, 16:29
Mille

If you're going to keep the bike in London, then the first thing that you may want to consider is the cost / benefits of secure parking.

Sometimes it'll make no difference to the overall cost of your insurance premium, but I would guess that it 'could' equate to an (ovarall) saving to the costs, if a bike is locked away in a secure garage.

The trick with on-street parking is to make your bike look less inviting to any would-be interested parties... Therefore, something that's not all that shiny or attractive can be a bonus.