Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 31-Mar-2005, 01:06
Administrator
Webteam
MotoGP God
Bikes: 748S, HM1100S, V4SP, Was: DD-A #111

Mood: Passion Killer
Snetterton is an ideal first track - very wide and flat with nothing too demanding, and it's dirt cheap too.

Can recommend 100% Bikes who run days there quite often.
Old 31-Mar-2005, 09:12
Ducati in my Blood
Bikes: Diavel, very non-std black & white ;)

Mood: Lucky? For some, maybe!
1st trackday?

Wherever you choose you wanna pick a short flowing track that's not too "technical" to learn and gives you a chance to build up the feel of your bike and inspire confidence. Try and steer clear of tight, twisty or ultra fast tracks that will take a long time to learn and be quite tiring, or by the time you've got to grips with the track layout you may well be too tired to take advantage of your bikes abilities.

Old 31-Mar-2005, 10:20
Mille
Bikes: 1098

Mood: Enjoying a REAL summer!
Jas,

I'll drop you a U2U in a few days - I'm putting together a few trackday options for me and some mates, and as we'll be heading off in a group from Tring to where ever we go I'll give you the option of joining us.

The list is likely to include Donington, Snetterton, Rockingham National and Silverstone.
Cheers

Giles
Old 31-Mar-2005, 12:36
Big Twin

Mood: Diet
Quote:
Originally posted by antonye
Snetterton is an ideal first track - very wide and flat with nothing too demanding, and it's dirt cheap too.

Can recommend 100% Bikes who run days there quite often.

You could do the DSC trackday at Snetterton, not sure of the date. It is also a desmo due round and a 24 hour endurance race all on the same weekend.
Old 31-Mar-2005, 12:40
BSB Star

Mood: Soon my pet, soon
Quote:
Originally posted by ali
Hi Jason,

Got to be said that Brands is probably the most flowing of the 'local' tracks. I love Silverstone GP as well but it doesn't come up that often and tends to be seriously pricey, and Silverstone national is a bit stop/start for my liking.

Finally, you'll hear few bad reports about Cadwell! More like a very twisty country lane than a big wide track, but challenging and loads to go at (and I've only been there once!).

The one guarantee is that you'll have more fun, and feel more comfortable, at any TD where there's a bunch of DSC members.

Cheers,

Ali

Silverstone GP - £160(ish)
Brands GP - £260(ish)

These are usual prices, although Apex is doing brands at £170 for DSC members, still more expensive than Silverstone GP just!
Old 31-Mar-2005, 12:41
BSB Star

Mood: the rain in spain falls mainly on me!
jas, from my experience i would say brands (either layout) as my first choice. i did the gp circuit as my first one and loved it. as others say though would be great for you to do your first when there are a few other DSC members around. will be able to sort pretty much any problems or queries you may have.

brands gp 4th july
snetterton 25th june spring to mind as dates that may be of use.
Old 31-Mar-2005, 20:22
Montjuic

Snetterton

I think snetterton must be the easiest track to learn in the uk especially if you dont like left handers, its not to taxing and you get to blast the bike down the back straight, would recommend this as a starter then progress to.
something more technical

Regards

Wosser
Old 02-Apr-2005, 00:00
WSB Hero

Mood: Lurkin'.....
IMO, Mallory must be one of the easiest circuits to learn.There is only Gerrards and the hairpin to worry about.
Great little circuit.
Old 02-Apr-2005, 23:52
Mille

Mood: I AM looking forward to racing..
Yeah some good ideas there chaps. I would say, having raced and instructed at pretty much all UK tracks, Mallory is probly easiest. Snet would be joint 1st, good thing about Snet is like you say, flat and wide, with loads of run off everywhere, and it's easy to learn at first but becomes technical when you pile it on. You can learn with Snet as you go on and it shouldn't bite! Forget Cadwell, Oulton Park etc. far too intimidating for a novice. Brands not bad but Indy circuit only, although Paddock Hill can be intimidating too, with Clearways highside city for the hamfisted. Rockingham is good too but a bit boring I find.
Old 03-Apr-2005, 03:44
Big Twin

Mood: renegade sexy racer
In at the deep end

My first track day was at brands with south woodford on a gsxr750K
I had never ridden on a circuit and therefor entered Novice when signing in for the day.
We had the usual briefing on how to stay out of trouble and spent some time shuffling in and out of the
Bog. This Bloke introduces himself to us novices and says, I will take you out and show the way round and the lines to follow. He then said he would pull away for the last few laps and we could DO OUR OWN THING. Being somewhat eager to get out there, I found myself at the front of the going out queue. So off we go and I love it, Paddock hill, Druids, f**ing left-hander at the bottom of the hill.
No One comes past me and said Bloke, he starts to pick up the pace and so do I.
This must be the, do your own thing part he was on about, so I stick to his back wheel like S**t to a blanket. So back in the garages feeling the B**llox best buzz with me clothes on.
Bloke comes stomping in and starts pushing me around and shouting f**ing fast group, fast group.
So fast group it was for me on my next time out. Total different experience I felt intimidated, out of place, lots of race prepared bikes and Fasssst,
Last session of the day and guess who’s in the queue to go out. Turns out he is a very resent ascendant to the fast group. Guess what happened next?

Brands Snett Mallory are all good to start with.
Riding to the track is a bit of a pain and the ride home can be a killer
If you can get a van or a trailer you can take tools, petrol, and some clothes to get out your leathers for a nice van ride home coz you will need that by the end of the day. I was shagged just from walking to the bog let alone the riding fatigue. So much adrenaline takes it out of you.

Get booked in soon and have some fun.