Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 06-Jun-2006, 09:59
BSB Star

Mood: Soon my pet, soon
Martin,

You mentioned you'd had the fork seals done a while ago, did they also set the bike up? maybe they've set this up and it's ended up like this???
Old 06-Jun-2006, 11:52
BSB Star

Mood: All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing
Corse swinging arm is around 25mm longer than standard, so it follows that with Corse bodywork everything is gonna be that bit tighter.

Could be if you remove chain by fully slackening and sliding it off both sprockets that you can get the eccentric in the fight position and start again so to speak.
Old 06-Jun-2006, 12:24
Big Twin

I can get the eccentric in the right position but not with the chain on the sprocket. Am just about to ring for a new longer chain I fancied a nice gold one anyway! Honestly though I have tried and tried to get some sense out of it and cant. Its almost as if my chain has shrunk! Maybe fitting a 180 rear has made the problem more noticible than when I got the bike with a half worn 190 on.

JPM, when I had the fork seals done as far as I know he did nowt else to the bike. I've never been 100% happy with the way the bike felt handling wise since I got it. I never seemed confident in it the way I was with my 996s a few years back. It feels as if the front could wash out when tipping in to bends. Could be down to the rear height being too high as the eccentric is very low down in its chain tensioned position.

There are only 2 positions the eccentric can be in to have the chain at correct tension. One is horribly wrong as it causes the chain to be hard against the lower swinging arm and also the wheel to rub on the hugger. And the other is the right one. When in the correct position the action of tensioning the chain actually decreases ride height as the eccentric is going anticlockwise from the 5 oclock ish position.

I cannot see any other way but fitting a longer chain. I'm hoping an extra 2 links will be enough? Suppose it makes sense that 2 extra links will lengthen the wheelbase by the amount of 1 link of chain. Wondered about 4 extra but that might mean that after the chain has stretched a little there would not be enough movement left in the adjuster to take up tension? Then I would have to fit a bigger rear sprocket to compensate. Which might not be a bad idea!
Old 06-Jun-2006, 18:37
Ducati in my Blood

Mood: stiff and tired
Martin

Have you sorted out the sag at the front yet?
Old 06-Jun-2006, 19:26
Big Twin

Mood: is it the weekend yet??
Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTIN H
I can get the eccentric in the right position but not with the chain on the sprocket. Am just about to ring for a new longer chain I fancied a nice gold one anyway! Honestly though I have tried and tried to get some sense out of it and cant. Its almost as if my chain has shrunk! Maybe fitting a 180 rear has made the problem more noticible than when I got the bike with a half worn 190 on.

JPM, when I had the fork seals done as far as I know he did nowt else to the bike. I've never been 100% happy with the way the bike felt handling wise since I got it. I never seemed confident in it the way I was with my 996s a few years back. It feels as if the front could wash out when tipping in to bends. Could be down to the rear height being too high as the eccentric is very low down in its chain tensioned position.

There are only 2 positions the eccentric can be in to have the chain at correct tension. One is horribly wrong as it causes the chain to be hard against the lower swinging arm and also the wheel to rub on the hugger. And the other is the right one. When in the correct position the action of tensioning the chain actually decreases ride height as the eccentric is going anticlockwise from the 5 oclock ish position.

I cannot see any other way but fitting a longer chain. I'm hoping an extra 2 links will be enough? Suppose it makes sense that 2 extra links will lengthen the wheelbase by the amount of 1 link of chain. Wondered about 4 extra but that might mean that after the chain has stretched a little there would not be enough movement left in the adjuster to take up tension? Then I would have to fit a bigger rear sprocket to compensate. Which might not be a bad idea!

A 180/55 is about 10mm taller than a 190/50 Martin.
Old 06-Jun-2006, 21:12
Big Twin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lily
Martin

Yes I'm on a diet and have stopped wearing tight T shirts!
Old 06-Jun-2006, 21:24
Big Twin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gizmo
A 180/55 is about 10mm taller than a 190/50 Martin.

Surely not 10mm? I work out that 55% of 180 is 99mm and 50% of 190 is 95mm. Meaning the 180 is 4 mm more in radius. I have ordered a chain with a couple of extra links which will move wheel back by the distance of 1 link which will be enough. Almost got carried away and got renthal carrier and rear sprocket up 3 teeth with an even longer chain (+4 links). Bought a 14 tooth sprocket as well but may fit that to the Multi. I broke a Breaker bar the other day trying to undo rear sprocket nut and took it back to Halfords today. I tried to claim I had bought it recently but lost the receipt. Shop guy raised an eyebrow as he informed me they had not sold that model bar for a few years! I actually bought it about 5 years ago. He didnt have any in stock but told me to call in on Friday and he would have one waiting for me FOC. Excellent.
Old 06-Jun-2006, 21:34
Big Twin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lily
Martin

Serious answer to your question. I did find the piece of paper I was looking for when you were here. I had written the measurements I had taken when I adjusted everything back in winter.

I have static sag as Front 30mm and rear 10mm

And with me on the bike Front 45 and rear 40mm

To be honest I cant actually remember if these are the settings I was aiming for or the ones I actually had!? Bikes in bits at the moment waiting for Tsubaki gold chain to arrive in the morning. When I get it back in one piece I will have a go with the sag again. I will probably need a firmer rear spring in the future though. It would be nice to live next to Maxton, probably end up with one of his purple springs on though. I still have a load of his stickers though so I might stick a couple of them on the bike and see if its any better.
Old 06-Jun-2006, 22:24
Big Twin

you need this chart mate

http://www.ducatisportingclub.com/sh...ains+sprockets

Old 06-Jun-2006, 23:02
Big Twin

Thanks for that its very useful. I did find something similar but not as well written and set out. Good old Shazaam! One think I noticed that was a little strange and has got me thinking is he has listed a 996r as having a 35 tooth rear sprocket as standard. Mines a 36 which I presumed was standard?