Ducati Sporting Club UK
General Motorcycles only
General motorcycle issues, including non-Ducati, but keep it motorcycles!

Old 27-May-2006, 12:08
Big Twin

Mood: Avatar what Avatar
Got My Fine (Arrow Exhaust )

Got the fine through nicked by the Ken the so called bike friendly police officer at Box Hill for loud cans £193.00

They have only sent a collection order nothing to say that I can appeal against such a heavy fine for such trivial offence
Can I appeal
Am I mad yes
Two of my mates were stoped last week and were told they could no longer be prosecuted for after market cans
any have any advise..
Old 27-May-2006, 12:15
500SD

Mood: head down
sounds a bit extreme.... just for loud cans!!!
Old 27-May-2006, 13:51
BSB Star

Mood: Has change happened...must of missed it!
Is that just for exhausts that dont meet the requirement..........£60 on the spot? You not take a ticket at the time?
Old 27-May-2006, 16:43
Founder Member
Ducati Meccanica

Obviously extremely dangerous and likely to cause a serious accident. Or maybe just easier to nick you for than driving with no hands on the wheel or while reading the newspaper etc. etc.
Old 27-May-2006, 17:00
Deceased 02/10/2010 - R.I.P.
Ducati Corse

Mood: NGRRC Minitwins champion 2007
Quote:
Originally posted by Road Runner
Got the fine through nicked by the Ken the so called bike friendly police officer at Box Hill for loud cans £193.00

Ouch! That's a bit steep. Commiserations. Try moving north - more room, better roads, less uptight people and plenty of opportunities to give them cans full reign.

Of course, I'd have nicked you...for having the wrong cans on
Old 02-Jun-2006, 08:04
Ducati Corse

Mood: www.suzukisportingclub.com the only place to be
Quote:
Originally Posted by Road Runner
Got the fine through nicked by the Ken the so called bike friendly police officer at Box Hill for loud cans £193.00.

Bloody hell Mark that's a bit steep, maybe we should take this up with Ken the next time we see him.
Old 02-Jun-2006, 11:43
500SD

Mood: PENSO POSITIVO....SEMPRE!!
Interisting post....

Guys, as it looks like that some members here are part of the men in blue..can I ask seriousily the question:

As per UK law, what I can expect if stopped by the Police with loud cans?
My 999 has an aftermarket exhaust - It is loud when full throttle - comparable to a racing Termi - Of course if you rev the bike nicely also the "noise" is decent...
What's the ticket - or supposed to be - for a modified exhaust?

193 pounds looks to me quite a big ticket for "just" a noisy exhaust.. is this normal?

I know that in Italy if a cop apply the law in its full - in my case - I can get a 150 Euro fine and have to do a re-test of the bike with normal std cans at the Italian DVLA office. If really unlucky, it can be in addition to the above, walk back home with no bike as the bike will be taken away and kept under police warrant, be realease after fine payment with reserve/previous booking of the test at the DVLA office.
Of course what I am describing above is the worse situation possible. Usually unless the rider is a Tw** cops are able to judge the situation and apply the law in a decent way, and we get away with just a ticket.

If someone can inform me on the above... at least I know what can I expect in case I am going road riding with a track exhaust and I get stopped.

Thanks
Old 07-Jun-2006, 21:32
Big Twin

Mood: Avatar what Avatar
I went to Guildford Magistrates court to pay my fine last Friday and asked why I had be charged costs?
They told me although it says cost on the collection order this is not court cost but the ploice cost for nicking me.
so £150.00 fine and £43.00 to Surrey police for the pleasure
NOT HAPPY..
Old 07-Jun-2006, 21:39
Ducati Meccanica

Mood: st2......we can rebuild
i was told by northampton police at one of there bikesafe track days that they would never do some one for just having a loud can, slightly illegal plate or tinted visor
but if you got pulled for summit else speeding etc then they might be taken into account
Old 07-Jun-2006, 22:26
Big Twin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road Runner
I went to Guildford Magistrates court to pay my fine last Friday and asked why I had be charged costs?
They told me although it says cost on the collection order this is not court cost but the ploice cost for nicking me.
so £150.00 fine and £43.00 to Surrey police for the pleasure
NOT HAPPY..

So did you not try and appeal ????

I suppose the cans could have been used as a dangerous weppon !! I mean you could have taken half an hour to remove them and then stab or shoot ok maybe not them but you could have clubbed someone with em !!

Barstewerds !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!