Ducati Sporting Club UK
DesmoDue - General Questions and Chat
Discussions on the race series devised and supported by the DSC.

Old 26-Sep-2011, 20:23
500SD
Bikes: Class A 620ssie #71 - 853 R/RS Dry - 748sp Wet

Mood: Green with envy
I know of one quick rider planning on doing the Thunderpsort golden era class, the bike is an ex wsb yam with motor being rebuilt by Pete Beale formerly of Virgin Yamaha). And I did hear of a couple of other Ducati ex-WSB bikes that could make an appearance..........
Old 26-Sep-2011, 20:39
Big Twin

Mood: If you ain't first, you're last!
Quote:
Originally Posted by antonye
You laugh, but that's exactly what someone who wants to win the p!ss!ng contest would turn up on!!

Yeah, but that's why we would have a bhp limit isn't it.

It's also the reason I would never consider entering the ThundersportGB "Golden Era" class. It would simply be filled with loaded Southern businessmen types on ex WSB dukes.

That wouldn't have been a problem in the old days but it seems that these rich fookers can ride as well as write cheques these days!!

Seriously, I'm interested in a class C or whatever you want to call it. Someone draw up some rules..though I think you'd have to allow factory fitment Ducati lightweight wheels as many 996's (including Mr Appleby's new purchase) have them.

Would 999's be allowed?..what about the later 996 that has a 998 testastretta engine...what about 998's?
Old 26-Sep-2011, 20:46
Big Twin

Could I use a Raleigh Chopper bicycle with a factory 1198 engine fitted?
Old 26-Sep-2011, 20:47
Big Twin

Could I use Troy Bayliss and his wife carrying me on a carbon fibre pallet?
Old 26-Sep-2011, 21:04
Big Twin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otei
Sounds like fun...what bikes would be eligible?

And Neil, I can't believe you pilfered my championship AND my bike!!

I'd have had that if I hadn't been let down on my DD bike initially. Nevermind..plenty of others out there. You really have got an excellent bike though....

Thanks, you mean this bike.

Old 26-Sep-2011, 21:06
500SD
Bikes: Class A 620ssie #71 - 853 R/RS Dry - 748sp Wet

Mood: Green with envy
My feelings would be keep it simple. Any thing but 1098's. 848's fine, a bit more umph than a 998 but not a lot. any wheels, any tuning, any brakes any suspension. Me on a 1098r would still get my backside slapped by a someone like Sam Wast, Mr Applepie or the likes on a 996 or even 916. Less rules means less circumnavigation of them. Weight limits and bhp limits stifle one fun for me, the engineering. Look at the radical 9.5 performance bikes this month or the JHP1200rs fast bikes too. One cost a huge amount, one far more simple and achingly beautiful and its a bitsa that a lot of us could turn our hands too. And both would be a hoot on track.......................

Yes, a potential ****ing contest, but a true racing maching class that with ingenuity and RIDING skill could be very well supported. how many bog standard 748,916,996, 998, are there used on track? Less than modified ones I would hazard a guess at. Never mond all the modified SS's out there with 944 lumps, overbores, and load of other sexy things.

Maybe worth looking at a mini series next year with Newera? say three rounds..........Look at how many bikes turned out for the no budget cup, and afair few where ducati's too
Old 26-Sep-2011, 21:33
Big Twin

All of the above is for Thundersport and they're welcome to it. I'd say personally that it should include the following:

916,996,998,999. Max BHP 135.

Suspension free, wheels free but Ducati standard fitment.

Brakes and discs free but no carbon nonsense.

Thoughts?

And yes neil, very nice...
Old 26-Sep-2011, 21:39
Big Twin

Also I don't thin that a 135bhp limit would stifle engineeriong, as engineering is often more about the bike than the engine. That being said the 91/2 only had 80bhp as it was based on an st4?...sooo there's plenty of scope for that kind of thing. The reason DD has been around so long is that anyone can compete on relatively equal terms. You already said that certain people are planning to destroy the ethos of the Golden ERA superbikes class by wheeling out their fat wallwts and ex WSb machinery.
Old 26-Sep-2011, 21:56
MotoGP God
Bikes: 848, M620 DD bike

Mood: waiting...
why not allow 848's? They make less than 135
Old 26-Sep-2011, 22:07
Mille

I seem to remember such a series being ****ged off by some ppl here..wasnt this what the Maxxis series was designed to provide ? Oh yes....and one person here told others that he would do whatever he could to bury it.....and yet here he is now making suggestions....winker........