Ducati Sporting Club UK
DesmoDue - General Questions and Chat
Discussions on the race series devised and supported by the DSC.

Old 26-Sep-2011, 22:16
DSC Club Rep
Ducati Corse
Bikes: Monster 1100 EVO

Mood: I'm A Grandad again :-)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunlop0_1
Thanks, you mean this bike.

Are those tyres the same ones we handed over at oulton Neil???

Chris
Old 26-Sep-2011, 22:38
MotoGP God

Mood: Its ONLY a Bike Club
Yep why not water down what we already have so that no clubs would be interested in running DD or if they did they would have us on the grid with other classes.
Trudi and myself received a few phone calls this year from Hottrax as they were concerned about the level of entries.

Now if someone is suggesting a seperate grid for 135 bhp maximum Ducatis you would be needing to find in the region of 25 entrants for all meetings for a club to entertain a seperate grid, otherwise you may as well enter the MaxiTwins and run in with the Motogrande 1000s at Hottrax or enter SoT with the likes of NG where you would be shareing a grid with the likes of 1098/1198s, Triumph 675s RC8s etc.

Last time I was racing SoT at club level the two front runners both had Ex BSB 996RS engines in their bikes, one of which was a complete EX BSB bike, no way could most of us racing Ducatis compete without spending a small fortune, I know of one rider who tried and his spend for the year was £35k.

Even with certain engine rules in place if the guy out front has the latest Ohlins SBK Gas forks with Brembo Monoblock Calipers, HPK discs, Mag Wheels, Mag arms, Mag Wide-track yokes, MF3 or Nemesis type ECUs, new tyres every race etc etc, then others will need to either head down the same route or resign themselves to not being able to compete on level terms.

Something that DD has been trying to achieve by offering a Level playing field at relatively modest costs.

And if in the proposed class you can clear off into the distance on a standard 916 then you really should be racing in a more serious class

Checkout the Desmo Due Paddock on Facebook
Old 26-Sep-2011, 22:50
DSC Club Member
Ducati Meccanica

Mood: Wet wet wet
Just checked the calendar - the timing is spot on: 2 weeks after the last round and the winter pantomine starts!
Characters: (in no particular order)

Keen rider type with new idea
Machiavellian behind the scenes string-pulling villain
Disgruntled has-been with chip on shoulder
Open-minded voice of reason slowly being ground down to cynical indifference
"Q"-type techie who is always trying new gadgets
Some ugly sisters**

We just need a couple of superstar champions who we can yell "they're all behind you" at and we're there.

The End

** None of the characters depicted represent any individual person, living dead or on the race committee***

*** Honest

Paul

15th year in DD #68 and getting slower by the year

1199, SS800 & 620SSie DD racer
Old 26-Sep-2011, 23:53
Administrator
Webteam
MotoGP God
Bikes: 748S, HM1100S, V4SP, Was: DD-A #111

Mood: Passion Killer
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by nogaromill998
I seem to remember such a series being ****ged off by some ppl here..wasnt this what the Maxxis series was designed to provide ?

A race series is only as good as the entrants it gets; if you can't get the entrants then the series doesn't work.

Surely nobody could force people not ride in the Maxxis series? Maybe it wasn't anything to do with one person in particular, but maybe something was flawed with the plan from the start? Wrong time? Wrong sponsor? Wrong tracks? Wrong club? Wrong rules? Who knows! DD suffered it's own losses, as did most race series and clubs.

A whole load of "new" people joined the 848 Challenge who were not DD riders, so that tells me there were people out there willing to put their money down for *something* if it's right, but even that was still a big gamble!

This is why I'm loathe to even entertain the idea of starting a new series when grids are already struggling and there's a danger of diluting DD even further. Ducati UK now have 848 so they won't be interested in anything else, DD takes a fair share of Ducati riders, those with the bigger bikes will go to Thunderbikes or the Golden Era series... is there room for *another* series?

I'd rather die peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather,
than screaming in terror like his passengers.- Jim Harkins

Ducati 748S | Ducati Hypermotard 1100S | Ducati Panigale V4 SP #876 | 600-620SS DesmoDue Racebike #111 <-- Sold!!
Old 27-Sep-2011, 00:19
MotoGP God

Mood: Its ONLY a Bike Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by paynep
Just checked the calendar - the timing is spot on: 2 weeks after the last round and the winter pantomine starts!

Some ugly sisters**

We just need a couple of superstar champions who we can yell "they're all behind you" at and we're there.

The End

** None of the characters depicted represent any individual person, living dead or on the race committee***

*** Honest
But you could enter your 888 in Class C

Checkout the Desmo Due Paddock on Facebook
Old 27-Sep-2011, 00:35
500SD

Quote:
Originally Posted by nogaromill998
I seem to remember such a series being ****ged off by some ppl here..wasnt this what the Maxxis series was designed to provide ? Oh yes....and one person here told others that he would do whatever he could to bury it.....and yet here he is now making suggestions....winker........

And now the 848 series is a huge successs now it's run by ducati uk
He's winding you up nog! ***** he is but thats what he is
But we all know the club has moved on from the past!
Old 27-Sep-2011, 06:38
Big Twin

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris.p
Are those tyres the same ones we handed over at oulton Neil???

Chris

Sure are.
Rear is sh**ged now though. Just got hold of another set of corsa's off a friend in moto grande.
All ready for Angelsey on saturday.
Old 27-Sep-2011, 06:40
Big Twin

Mood: If you ain't first, you're last!
Quote:
Originally Posted by paynep

Some ugly sisters**

The End

PMSL!!

Brilliant Paul..and just about spot on.

Now I remember why DD struggles. Other clubs look forward with optimism and actively promote the new ideas they have (ThundersportGB even have a video on youtube about golden era) and reap the rewards of entries as a result. We manage to sit here and bicker amongst ourselves whilst putting a cotton wool jacket around what we have to protect it, which only serves to see in diminish while we do nothing about it. Perfect.

It's got nothing to do with diluting classes. A class is seeing a resurgence, which I think is down to more money being available and that's fantastic. Class B is still healthy too. I was heartbroken when I thought that A would go down the pan and thought about coming back to it, but I want a new challenge really. Plus I think people would pay the gate fee just to see me and the pieman try to kill eachother on 998's!!!

Where IS that unicycling clown anyway...this is HIS idea I'm trying to defend!

I think the Maxxis series didn't recieve support for a couple of reasons.

1: I don't think enough people had faith in the tyres.

2: I don't think people thought you were the right person to run it, David. Don't take that as a personal insult, I don't dislike you...I would level the same critisicm at myself when it came to something like that. If I ran it I just wouldn't have any patience with the moaners and would happily stab them on the spot rather than patiently debate their woes. That's why I'm a racer and not a series organiser.

Skids...always the voice of reason. I always take onboard what you say with respect and interest but I wish you could leave out the cynicism. It must get frustrating to have to explain the ins and outs to us morons EVERY year...but try to bear with us.

I'll start a new thread on the series and if we can have positive comments (including critisicms) that not only critisise and support but ALSO look to try and find a solution so we can perhaps get this off the ground.

I'm trying to help create a larger DD class that doesn't go to the extremes of ThundersportGB and hence will remain cheaper as DD has been for years now.

Fank yooooooooooooooooo
Old 27-Sep-2011, 06:41
Big Twin

Mood: If you ain't first, you're last!
Quote:
Sure are.
Rear is sh**ged now though. Just got hold of another set of corsa's off a friend in moto grande.
All ready for Angelsey on saturday.

AAAH!..there you are! Mornin' flower.
Old 27-Sep-2011, 08:29
Ducati Meccanica
Bikes: Ducati 1098R Bayliss Rep

Mood: Find people who share your values, and you'll conquer the world together.
Quote:
Now the DD bike has sadly departed I wisely bought Paul Pullens 996.
Anyway Toni was booked on at Mallory yesterday and I took the 996 just incase
Weather turned out great so I went on the reserve list and ended up doing the afternoon sessions. Now the 620 was the only bike I have ridden in anger untill now.

Awesome !!!! all that power (well compared to the DD bike) and what a buzz spinning up the rear in the dry.

So never mind Golden era Racing can we please have

Desmodue Class C for all 996 bikes
or Desmoquattro Class A?

Cos I really miss racing already.

Wow if i had known that selling my 996 would have opened up such a debate on a new race series i might have been enclined to leave it sitting in the garage, No offence Neil and im sure your post was in semi Jest

My views on this are quiet simple (that might be due to my simple minded nature)

Grids in this years DD have been quiet small so rather than trying to get a new series off the ground (to the possible detrement of the present series) we should look at getting more entrants for the present series. there has been a lot of interest shown at most of this years meetings by people wanting to join DD and i believe quiet a few people who are moving up to class A have found buyers for their class B bikes, this has to be a good thing because it could mean a larger Class A group and an influx of new riders into class B, this will hopefully lead to a larger grid next year (i still maintain we need two grids or let the class A bikes have a 5-10 second head start) the only way to achiev this is to have more bikes on the grid

I am sure discussions for next years DD series are already on going tring to add a new class into the mix could complicate things.

End.