Ducati Sporting Club UK
DesmoDue - General Questions and Chat
Discussions on the race series devised and supported by the DSC.

Old 27-May-2009, 21:09

I'd like to thank both Nog and Sam for their proactive approach to this sensitive subject. Non-championship races are a good opportunity to advance our series in this way. Cheers fellers and will be seeing you at Mallory, hopefully I’ll make the championship races this round
Old 28-May-2009, 12:30
500SD

Tyre Test idea

No offence to Andy Sheppard or Sam West but I noticed that Ian Cobby is still around the paddock with Harriet. If there was any testing to be done why not let him do it - his speed, wealth of previous experience as well as last year's championship should make him the ideal candidate.

On the subject of Ian Cobby and Diablos; I believe Ian's best time around Snetterton was 1:19 ish last year and the best time this year from front running Class A is around 1:22 ish I realise that there may be other factors involved but does this suggest that the tyres have at least another 3 seconds in them with the right rider on board?
Old 28-May-2009, 13:29
Mille

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastfasulli
On the subject of Ian Cobby and Diablos; I believe Ian's best time around Snetterton was 1:19 ish last year and the best time this year from front running Class A is around 1:22 ish I realise that there may be other factors involved but does this suggest that the tyres have at least another 3 seconds in them with the right rider on board?

The fact that Ian is a track day instructor at Snetterton, literally knows the circuit like the back of his hand, and could probably do low 1.20's two up whilst eating a sandwich would have no bearing
Old 28-May-2009, 14:20
500SD

Quote:
Originally Posted by faith-healer
The fact that Ian is a track day instructor at Snetterton, literally knows the circuit like the back of his hand, and could probably do low 1.20's two up whilst eating a sandwich would have no bearing

LOL - good point but it confirms even more that he's the man for the job - especially round Snetterton :-)
Old 28-May-2009, 19:04
Ducati Corse

Mood: R U thinking what I'm thinking?......Oh dear!
Some way to go to turn this around

http://www.ducatisportingclub.com/sh...ad.php?t=79165

A set apiece for a each rider might do it though

Maxxis are certainly working hard on marketing side.

Ray.

Oh and I'll want a set as well, part worn is fine but two meets max use only, to see if they are OK to use on the road after they come off a DD bike
Old 18-Feb-2012, 20:15

old thread revival soz....

I have used and loved the Maxxis Supermax Sport tyres on my k7 GSX-R when I had that, was wondering if anyone has tried the new Maxxis Diamond tyres on a Ducati yet as am very tempted to go for a set unless any folk have real horror stories from fitting them to a Ducati?
Old 19-Feb-2012, 19:46
DSC Club Member
Big Twin

Mood: Im Going to Italy soon!
Having had to put two tyres on our Polo last week for the MOT and being offered "budget" tyres at my local tyre fitters - it was pointed out that you get what you pay for with tyres!

So the Polo got a pair of Firestones for £10 more than the "budget" ones - it is after all just that patch of black stuff that keeps me in contact with the road.

When it comes to a high performace machine like a Ducati - then quite frankly fit the best - you never know when it might make the difference!
Old 19-Feb-2012, 20:28

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisBushell
When it comes to a high performace machine like a Ducati - then quite frankly fit the best - you never know when it might make the difference!
by best do you mean more expensive tyres or more grippy in wet or more grippy in dry or faster warm up times or more feel?

I preferred the Maxxis Supermax Sports to Michelin Pilot Power 2CTs on my gixer, got better mileage, they were almost half the price at the time, had better dry grip and as good wet grip.

I have not tried the Diamonds as my bike only has 1000ish miles so still on std rubber. I am happy to try them if no one has actually fitted them to their bike but was wondering if anyone had actually tried them on a Ducati yet?
Old 20-Feb-2012, 10:17
DSC Club Member
Big Twin

Mood: Im Going to Italy soon!
To answer your question of "best" I was meaning quality.

Every comparative test I have seen in the last 10 years on tyres, be it cars or bikes, has never seen a "budget" tyre come out near the top. Yes you might get good milage, but there will be a trade off elsewhere and on a thing like a Ducati grip is more important than milage.
Old 20-Feb-2012, 10:52

Oh I 100% agree mate about grip being more important than mileage on a sportsbike, my Streetfighter has a lot of power 155bhp ish, but then my GSX-R750 was no slouch as that had a 35mph higher top speed and had around 140bhp to boot, I wasn't trying to sound argumentative.

The Maxxis tyres imo are not budget tyres, they are just cheaper in price than the brands most people use. I believe the inflated price lulls some people into a false sense of security as to how much better one brand is over another.

You say a trade off if a tyre has better mileage but I said in my previous post that they offered better dry grip and as good wet grip as the Pilot Power 2CTs on the same bike back to back with the same rider.

I know the tyres I used on my gixer worked with the bike, its why I am asking if anyone has actually tried them on a Ducati rather than having read a report on a tyre test that probably was carried out on an inline 4 rather than an L twin.

I am sure something like a Supercorser would offer even better dry grip but I ride all year round so need a tyre that wont spit me off the moment it rains, I also do a higher than average mileage (have already covered over 1000 miles on the Ducati in a little over this last month) so mileage and cost do come into the equation even if they sit lower on priority than wet/dry grip.