Ducati Sporting Club UK
DesmoDue - General Questions and Chat
Discussions on the race series devised and supported by the DSC.

Old 18-Sep-2012, 21:56
MotoGP God

Mood: Its ONLY a Bike Club
#88's test day report

Cadwell 2nd Visit

After the previous visit and a decent outing at Donington I went in to our second visit to Cadwell with the intention of getting my lap times below the 1m 53s bracket, a time I had been stuck around for far to many years a time only marginally quicker than my Class B time on the Pirellis and not much better than the first time I rode what was a very undeveloped Class A bike.

In my view I need to make another change, previous changes to the front end and riding position had made a difference but I still wanted the bike to turn a bit quicker. In the 3 weeks between the Donington Park round and this our second visit to Cadwell I discovered the Ohlins Shock in my 1000SS was 5mm longer than the 900SSie Ohlins in my DD bike, so it was liberated from the road bike, spring swapped to a single rate 8.0 kg/mm and packed in the van ready to try on Friday's test day.

Arriving late Thursday after noon I set up as usal alongside Trudi, Kev and Dallas with Tom and Colin on the other side.
Friday dawned and looked very promising so with the bike as it finished Donington apart from a repaired Rev counter which proved useful at noise testing (97dB) and all signed on I was ready for our first session.

Session 1 went well as the track soon felt familiar and the session flew by. Back to our pit area and with the Harris stands on the footrests the Ohlins shocks were soon swapped over with the one getting fitted set for the extra 5mm and the preload guessed at

Session 2, back out on track with a the increased read ride height and subsequent change in Rake and Trail, bike felt nervous and was picking up every bump out there.

The next 4 sessions were spent playing with preload, shock length and compression and rebound damping at both ends (As well as trying to work out the issue that was hindering Dallas). By the penultimate session the bumps in the track had been ironed out and the bike was doing what I wanted all I need to do is recalculate some of my turn in points.

For the final session of the day I tried a more accute handlebar position, but hated it so reset the bars back to their previous position after the practice day had concluded and before I headed off to help out at Scrutineering before joining the others for dinner.

I'll try and recall what happend on the race days and add a race report later in the week

Checkout the Desmo Due Paddock on Facebook
Old 20-Sep-2012, 17:10
DSC Club Member
Mille
Bikes: 620SS Desmo Due 800SS Minitwin 1000SS Monster 750

Mood: Inquisitive cat
kev .. i've got the thou ohlins on mine

got it set up with about 10 mm of thread showing

guys at maxton advised between 8 and 10 depending how i liked it