Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 30-Mar-2005, 01:50
Ducati Meccanica

Mood: Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports ... all others are games
Quote:
Originally posted by khu996
The clutch? FFS...its only done 2100 miles and I havent abused it (that much!!), surely it can't be time for a new clutch?

749er, what do you mean when you say they need to be treated?

Spoke to Ducati South London.

The guy said they removing the glazing from the clutch plates, then reassemble. An hours work at a cost of about £60. new clutch is £160 fitted.

I thought I was taking care of mine too, but apparently we should be pulling away with only about 1200rpm and slowly easing out the clutch. Not giving it 2500-3000rpm, letting the clutch out quickly to the bite then rolling on the throttle, and easing the clutch out more, which is what I do quite a bit though not always. Cant help but feel that the clutch is a bit of a con as when I first got the bike from new, it kept cutting out when pulling away, so minimum rpm when joining a roundabout was not an option as far as I was concerned.

Apparently using to many revs, eg more than 1500, at take off does them in quite quickly. Was advised that you can do it now and then but not all the time as you can with a jap bike with a wet clutch.

Have not noticed my clutch slipping yet only the noise when taking off with more than 2000rpm, lower engne speeds its quiet
Old 30-Mar-2005, 02:33
Big Twin

Mood: renegade sexy racer
Sounds like a case for D S C ear plugs for peace of mind club.
The other day it was valve train noises that were upsetting the riding experience, now it’s the squeaky clutch that’s got you going.
Right go out, buy a new clutch stick it on top of your wardrobe and change it when the old ones slipping.
Buy yourself an open basket and revel in the tortured squeal that is a Ducati dry clutch.
Come on snap out of it, looz some mechanical sympathy and learn to love a new sound track. Coz you’re missing out on all the fun.

:P:P:P
Old 30-Mar-2005, 02:36
Big Twin

Mood: Diet
Pulling away at only 1200 rpm seems excessive, you should avoid slipping the clutch unnecessarily, but you should be able to ride normally

lowering the gearing will help with filtering (1 down on the front or 2 or 3 up on the rear)

If my clutch was slipping at less than 6000 miles I would be asking for a warantee replacement
Old 30-Mar-2005, 22:10
Big Twin

I was thinking about the warranty implications...surely however much its been abused (and it hasn't :P) it shouldnt require a new clutch after only 2100 miles?

Its had an open cover since 1500 miles so there shouldn't be much of a dust issue

[Edited on 30-3-2005 by khu996]
Old 30-Mar-2005, 23:42
500SD

Mood: Must fix Superlight... Must fix Superlight...
Forgot to add that while you've got the clutch plates apart giving 'em a bit of a spring clean to also give the friction surfaces a good rubbing down with some wet'n'dry. Hopefully that'll stop the "graunching" sensation on pulling away.

Warranty or not it'll take you longer to get the bike to the dealer than to actually do it and if it doesn't do the job all you've lost is a small amount of time.

Darren
Old 01-Apr-2005, 00:09
Bikes: Multistrada 1200s DAir

I have noticed this 'groan' and in fact it is quite noticeable when I wheel the bike backwards into the garage i.e. no engine running so seems to rule out the clutch. (5k now and still does it)
I will be checking with local dealer and feedback any positive info.
Old 01-Apr-2005, 15:00
Ducati Meccanica

Mood: Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports ... all others are games
clutch

Quote:
Originally posted by ericthered40
Sounds like a case for D S C ear plugs for peace of mind club.
The other day it was valve train noises that were upsetting the riding experience, now it’s the squeaky clutch that’s got you going.
Right go out, buy a new clutch stick it on top of your wardrobe and change it when the old ones slipping.
Buy yourself an open basket and revel in the tortured squeal that is a Ducati dry clutch.
Come on snap out of it, looz some mechanical sympathy and learn to love a new sound track. Coz you’re missing out on all the fun.

:P:P:P

am new to Ducatis and dry clutches, as the sound was coming from the head of the bars, I was a bit concerned it might have been the bearings there, which I dont fancy loosing at motorway speeds, hence the query. Will have a look round the site for a "how to" on sorting out the dust on the clutch
Old 01-Apr-2005, 15:16
DSC Club Member
BSB Star

Mood: MT Meglomaniac
Quote:
Originally posted by khu996
I was thinking about the warranty implications...surely however much its been abused (and it hasn't :P) it shouldnt require a new clutch after only 2100 miles?

Its had an open cover since 1500 miles so there shouldn't be much of a dust issue

[Edited on 30-3-2005 by khu996]

I would be very surprised if you need a new clutch mate, they usually last around 12-15K, which is four or five years at today's average of about 3K miles per year.

Even if the dust can get out, you'll still get a honk out of it if you slip the clutch a bit too much pulling away. I haven't got an open cover, my clutch is on about 5K miles now (it's my first replacement clutch after 18K miles) and in a 250 mile ride like we did with the BHC crew last weekend it probably gave a honking sound a couple of times.

Don't worry about it
Old 01-Apr-2005, 19:09
Big Twin

Went out today for a quick blast, and the noise is indeed coming from the clutch! Oh well, at least its not the bearings! Time for a spring clean

Cheers Jools.