Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 30-Jul-2012, 19:52
Montjuic

DDA Fitting - pics

Hello All,
As posted below, my DDA kit turned up last week and I fitted it on saturday. I have yet to get out and test it but will provide some screen shots of the info when I have it.

Step 1: Undo box in a flurry of excitement and spread contents around your dining room table:

Step 2: Put your bike somewhere where you are comfortable to work on it as you have to remove both side panels, the plastic surrounding the ignition barrel and nose fairing:

Step 3: Remove the plastic surrounding the ignition barrel and the two sections that are linked to it, the side panels and the nose cone. Curse at the complexity and whistfully remember the good old days of your 996/998, the Dzus fasteners and speedy fairing removal. Be careful removing the right hand side panel as there is a cable tie through the upper right hand corner that ties it to the wiring loom that you will have to cut.

Step 4: Remove the plastic binnacle cover, attached by four bolts in the corners. The lower ones require a long hex key ( allen key ) or one on a socket extension.

Step 5: Marvel at the heat sink needed for the LED lights. Do not touch this if you have had the lights on! The instructions clearly state that no wiring should come into contact with these and a couple of cable ties are supplied to keep it away. I used a few extra for good measure:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DD1.1.jpg (325.2 KB, 56 views)
File Type: jpg DDA 2.1.jpg (445.3 KB, 47 views)
File Type: jpg DDA3.1.jpg (508.8 KB, 44 views)
File Type: jpg DDA4.1.jpg (530.3 KB, 45 views)
File Type: jpg DDA5.1.jpg (450.5 KB, 52 views)

Last edited by benF04 : 30-Jul-2012 at 20:13.
Old 30-Jul-2012, 20:07
Montjuic

I can only post 5 images at a time, the story continues..

Step 6: Compare the old and new plastic binnacle covers. The hole and mounts for the GPS receiver are clearly visible

Step7: Mount the GPS receiver in place. Have a cup of tea and wonder if you should apply for a job as a MotoGP Mechanic as you clearly have the necessary skills.

Step8: Find the blanked off connector on the side r/h side of the bike. Remove the plug. Start to get excited.

Step9: Fit the binnacle cover / GPS unit back to the bike and plug into the wiring loom. Use the supplied cable ties and a few extras to keep the new wiring away from the heat sink. Start to get even more excited but resist the temptation to turn it on at the moment!

Step 10: Plug the DDA datamodule ( glorified USB stick ) into the connector under the rear pillion seat. Turn on! Celebrate excitedly when the chequered flag appears on the instrument cluster and realise that you should be applying for MotoGP Rider, let alone Mechanic and then wonder why DDA isn't displayed on the screen. Go into set up and try turning it on to on.

Put the fairings back on. Watch out for the inch long rubber spacers that sit between the panels as they can drop out. Download the software and have a play. I'll post some screen shots of the outcome when Ive had an opportunity for a test run, providing that its not incriminating
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DDA6.1.jpg (245.5 KB, 36 views)
File Type: jpg DDA8.1.jpg (214.3 KB, 33 views)
File Type: jpg DDA9.1.jpg (315.3 KB, 42 views)
File Type: jpg DDA10.1.jpg (425.1 KB, 45 views)
File Type: jpg DDA12.1.jpg (317.4 KB, 40 views)

Last edited by benF04 : 30-Jul-2012 at 20:16.
Old 30-Jul-2012, 21:52

Hi Ben looks like a right fiddle f##k fitting the DDA ,good on you for fitting it yourself i,ve spoke to Ducati Glasgow and will get them to fit mine when i take it in for the 600 mile service ,by the way have you had any problems with your footpegs or sidestand ?,
i find that with the current footpegs when they are wet they are really slippy and dont have much grip, your feet can slide of the pegs when riding in the rain , also pain in the rrs when trying to put sidestand down i wear Sidi Vortice boots and find it difficult to get the stand down,need to get under the footpeg to get a grip on the stand , currently looking for better set of footpegs that will fit straight onto bike rather than have to fit full rearsets apart from that i,m loving every minute of owning the Tricolore
Old 30-Jul-2012, 22:54
Administrator
Webteam
MotoGP God
Bikes: 748S, HM1100S, V4SP, Was: DD-A #111

Mood: Passion Killer
Nice pics and write-up! Looks like a great piece of kit.

I'd rather die peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather,
than screaming in terror like his passengers.- Jim Harkins

Ducati 748S | Ducati Hypermotard 1100S | Ducati Panigale V4 SP #876 | 600-620SS DesmoDue Racebike #111 <-- Sold!!
Old 31-Jul-2012, 08:14
Montjuic

'by the way have you had any problems with your footpegs or sidestand ?'

Yep, the footpegs are about as grippy as a teflon coated frying pan, especially when wet and not that great in the dry either, especially when you are cranked over and trying to put some leverage through them. I think the only option is go to for a set of full rearsets but its difficult to justify spending yet more money on the bike at the moment although they would be handy for Brands GP on the 16th Aug..

I have changed my approach to lowering the sidestand as I was finding it difficult so now I put my foot behind the footpeg and put my foot on the end of the sidestand rather than trying to approach it from the side. This seems to make it a bit easier.
Old 31-Jul-2012, 18:06

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by benF04

Yep, the footpegs are about as grippy as a teflon coated frying pan, especially when wet and not that great in the dry either, especially when you are cranked over and trying to put some leverage through them. I think the only option is go to for a set of full rearsets but its difficult to justify spending yet more money on the bike at the moment although they would be handy for Brands GP on the 16th Aug..

I have changed my approach to lowering the sidestand as I was finding it difficult so now I put my foot behind the footpeg and put my foot on the end of the sidestand rather than trying to approach it from the side. This seems to make it a bit easier.
i,ve been speaking to the Mechanic at Ducati Glasgow and he has told me that it is possible to change out just the pegs rather than go for full set of rear sets , he said he is looking into this for one of the other guys that has recently bought a Tricolore and he will let me know when he has them and how good they are , think he said he was trying to Source them through Performance Parts , they are for the 1198 but can be adjusted to fit the 1199 , will let you know when i hear back from him
Old 31-Jul-2012, 19:43
Administrator
Webteam
MotoGP God
Bikes: 748S, HM1100S, V4SP, Was: DD-A #111

Mood: Passion Killer
Like these ones?
http://www.avantiraceparts.co.uk/sho...3&cat=4#ARF001

I'd rather die peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather,
than screaming in terror like his passengers.- Jim Harkins

Ducati 748S | Ducati Hypermotard 1100S | Ducati Panigale V4 SP #876 | 600-620SS DesmoDue Racebike #111 <-- Sold!!
Old 31-Jul-2012, 19:45
MotoGP God
Bikes: 848, M620 DD bike

Mood: waiting...
I have a set like the avanti ones fitted and they seem good so far...and cheap so if they are not you dont worry too much
Old 01-Aug-2012, 07:49

Quote:
Originally Posted by benF04

Hi just collected my bike recently, but had a set of rizoma pegs fitted which are a massive improvement (part no.pe614a) I think the a is just for the colour silver. but nothing else needed changing , just the actual pegs (£48). I'll send in a phot.