Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 18-Jun-2003, 19:02
Montjuic

Mood: Spiffing
clutches again

Managed to get the clutch plates out over the weekend and they looked a little worn (they did seem to be a copper type, rather than the black I was expecting) and fairly smooth.
I phoned CMW in Chichester to get replacements but they said that they recommend replacing the basket as well. Otherwise the plates would wear quickly again. I have no idea how old the original basket is so would it be best to have the whole lot done or go against their recommendations and just do the plates?
Old 18-Jun-2003, 19:29
Mille

Mood: Ducatiless, but got License back
Depends on how worn the basket is. A quick file normally smooths any ridges caused by the plates.
Old 18-Jun-2003, 20:12
Ducati Corse

Cant see how a worn basket would make the clutch wear more quickly. It does make the clutch a bit grabby as the plates slide over the ridges but you can dress out the ridges on the basket with a file quite easily.
Get a set of alloy plates from JHP for about £100 and get rid of most of the noise at the same time.

Paul.
Old 18-Jun-2003, 21:54
Ducati Corse

Mood: Tad more confident
Them bronze coloured plates are the harder sintered plates. You didn't say what bike it is. Also there is a recomended gap between the tounges and the basket. If you file this and remove too much you may find that the clutch becomes excessively noisey !

Jon
Old 19-Jun-2003, 06:19
Ducati Meccanica

Mood: Is 112 dB loud enough?? What??
Definitely agree with Rockhopper. Get the JHP thick tabbed alloy plates. Greatly increases the life of the basket and there less expensive than the stock set. A winner in my book. Was also told they reduce the noise. Didn't work on mine since they bl@@dy bike is so noisy, you couldn't hear the clutch either way!
Old 19-Jun-2003, 09:22
Montjuic

Mood: Spiffing
bike is a 916sp with a slipper clutch.

If the only down side of not replacing the basket is its a bit noisey then I am OK with that, so long as no long term damage can be caused.

I will ring JHP today and see what they say, as you guys seem to think they know their onions.
Old 19-Jun-2003, 10:02
Montjuic

Mood: Deeply Grooved....
Keggsey,

Recommend that, whilst you are about it, replace the thrust bearing in the pressure plate - chances are that if the plates are shot then this bearing will be well on its way as well. Check that the clutch push rod is not 'bent' or 'grooved' where it should not be. The push rod sticking is another cause of slip.

Possibly too late now (because you have already removed your old plates), but would have been worth checking whether the 'exposed' slotted portion of the clutch hub as measured from the outer face of the last friction plate is less than the depth of the slotted recess in the pressure plate. This is a good indication of excessive clutch plate friction face wear - when the hub bottoms out in the recess, the load exerted by the springs via the pressure plate reduces and you will get slip.

It is unlikely that the slip is down to a problem with the springs themselves.

I agree with others - reducing the grooving in the basket slots is beneficial - clutch operation will remain fairly smooth if you carefully file them out and the new set of plates will probably last a bit longer than they would if you do not attend to the grooves. There is a limit though and noise will gradually increase. Not tried the ally plates from JHP myself, but will be doing so when the bike is out of warranty and the clutch needs doing again.

As others have said, make sure you get all of the plates in the right order and the right way round (some are dished), etc.

This diagram applies to standard plates for a 996s and a 916sps. The ally plates from JHP will probably be covered by their own instructions/diagrams.

Good luck, Chris.

[Edited on 19-6-2003 by topper]