Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 03-Apr-2005, 11:19
Mille

Mood: ok
999 to 749

anyone done this i currently run a 999s but fancy a 749r would i be dissapointed ?
Old 03-Apr-2005, 11:45
888 at Last !!!

Not sure, but i guess it depends on what you want.
But you'll probably miss the extra power on the 999 even if power is not that important to you.

But why are you thinking about it?
What year is your S? Is it because of the new look (swingarm, red frame etc) of the R?
Old 03-Apr-2005, 12:28
Mille

Lasy year i was lucky enough to have owned a base 999 which i bought and used for the sole reason of going to the WDW then sell as opposed to take my SPS but enjoyed the whole experience so much that when came back i could not bear to sell it but was seduced by the 749r which i bought and enjoyed but there is no substitute for cubes and although the 749r was fun to ride i did get fed up having to rev the guts out of it and the lengine braking i enjoyed was missing from the 749r .So in the end i swapped bothe SPS and the 749r for a 999r and glad that i did.If you enjoy the low down grunt the stay with the 999 but if you want manic action then the 749r will be ideal.With regard to the power diffence obviously there is a difference but for most riders the it really is acedemic.
Hope that helps with your decission
Old 03-Apr-2005, 19:00
Big Twin

Mood: Enjoying Togdom !
Go for the baby R,its a stunner!
Butch
Old 04-Apr-2005, 00:16
500SD

Mood: 2 for 1 mmm :)
749R is an amazing bit of kit, if u do get 1 go for the 04, better spec !

/ian
Old 04-Apr-2005, 08:25
GTL

Mood: going for a ride...
I swapped my 1 year old 999s for a 749R (which is now exactly 1 year old too) and did not miss the power at all , if anything the way the R spins up faster and higher is more of a buzz , I would say there is very little difference in speed and acceleration up to 120-130 , over this the bigger engine comes into it's own though.

The R has so many little differences from an S that make it special , in some ways it is even tricker than the 999R , the big tank changes the shape of the whole bike , not everyone's cup of tea but it works for me

As posted , the 05 model does not get the carbon bodywork even though it costs more , there may be some other small changes too , if there are any '04's left they may take a bit of finding , good luck
Old 04-Apr-2005, 08:58
Big Twin

Mood: r
04 at jhp
Old 04-Apr-2005, 09:29
Big Twin

I did a similar thing, but not from a 999. I had an ST4s which as you know has a 996 motor. I traded that in for a 749s and I have not regretted it. I did just have a few pangs recently when I had an oppotunity to ride a 996, but you only miss the extra grunt when you do a direct comparison. That ride was onthe way back from Cadwell trackday after riding my 749 for the day on track. It did set me thinking how nice a 999 would be, but then I remember changing the other way and thinking that the 749 was so much more versatile for my normal riding of twisty A/B roads and in town. I reckon if I was going to do predominantly track riding I would probably consider the 999 now.
Old 04-Apr-2005, 09:37
BSB Star

Mood: the rain in spain falls mainly on me!
have a 999s, and really dont think i would want to change down to a smaller capacity bike. havnt been out on too much since getting it back from jhp and being set up correctly but was out on it yesterday and it is simply awesome. the low down grunt is immense and i think i would miss that. some people like to work the gears but i much prefer having plenty of torque. most bikes are far too quick for roads anyway so out and out power is probably not the isseu more to do eith you riding style. im a lazy ******* so the 999 suits me fine.
Old 04-Apr-2005, 09:54
Big Twin

Quote:
Originally posted by dickieducati
have a 999s, and really dont think i would want to change down to a smaller capacity bike. havnt been out on too much since getting it back from jhp and being set up correctly but was out on it yesterday and it is simply awesome. the low down grunt is immense and i think i would miss that. some people like to work the gears but i much prefer having plenty of torque. most bikes are far too quick for roads anyway so out and out power is probably not the isseu more to do eith you riding style. im a lazy ******* so the 999 suits me fine.

Hit the nail on the head ... it IS down to riding style. I got lazy on the ST4s because you rarely had to worry what gear you were in (within reason), it just had the grint to get you out of corners, overtake, whatever without having to change gears. I have been told that the 748 was a bit gear happy but that is only hearsay, but the 749 jurt makes you work it a bit to ensure you are in the right gear for what you want to do.