Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 16-Jun-2003, 18:37
Big Twin

Mood: Not so broke any more !!!!!!!!
998 clutch wear !

Took my clutch plates (998) out today to clean inside up a bit , while i was at it i measured the wear in the friction plates
The wear was 0.10 mm & the service limit is 0.20 , the steel plates had no wear , the bike has just under 4000 miles
So the plates are half worn & i am looking at 6/8 tho miles methinks !
Any thoughts on Alloy plates as replacements ???

[Edited on 16-6-2003 by Totto]
Old 16-Jun-2003, 20:34

Have to pack them wheeilies in mate.

Yes the dry clutch is a pain, but then any ducati clutchis pain (litrally, in the case of the bevals and the early Pantahs)

Therea few options out there, Im told the baines clutch plates are good but £££.
Old 16-Jun-2003, 21:49

Mood: for lurve
Your right kfz

Alloy clutch plates are 160 + vat at JHP, pretty steep. They will make the clutch unit quieter as they are lighter. BUt JHP suggest that you change the clutch basket with them, making the cost even more. They don't last any longer than the sintered pads though.

You could always go the slipper clutch route, but they are expensive too. Fact is I'm afraid yor only looking at 8K tops unless you're Mr super smooth!

Old 16-Jun-2003, 22:07
Ducati Corse

I got a set of alloy plates from JHP for about £100 inc the vat so i dont know where the £160 comes from! Didnt change the basket though and they work fine, just a slight tinkle at idle which sounds quite nice. Well worth it.

Paul.
Old 16-Jun-2003, 23:02
Big Twin

Alloy clutch plates

Ditto

I changed mine over to ally plates (approx £100 from JHP) just to try and quieten the thing down. Its probably reduced the clutch rattle by 60-70%. Worth the money for me...you may think different.

I didn't change the basket (at Johns recommendation). If I had it would be even quieter. Wear from the basket doesn't seem to be an issue at the moment after 3000 miles.
Old 16-Jun-2003, 23:07
Mille

Mood: Ducatiless, but got License back
6 to 8K sounds about right. I did a lot less and put a post on the old DSC msg board. Seems some people get more while others get less.

Depends on your riding, but I have now stopped using the clutch to 'get her up' and treat it a bit more gently.