Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 21-Jun-2003, 19:03
Bevel Head

Too Cool 996!

Hi everyone,
Just a bit of a query this, not exactly a rant.
As you may or may not know, I also own an SP2, and I've noticed that when I've been out riding for a while and the Ducati's up to running temp, when I come to a stop (for a McDonalds or something), the Duc has to be re-warmed up every time. i.e. it gets cold really, really fast. sometimes just 10 minutes left alone'll do it.

As I've only had fours before these 2 twins, I thought it was just a trait of the twin engine, but the SP2 'holds' it temperature for alot longer.

I am one of those people who makes sure that the bike is at correct running temp before setting off, so sometimes I'm stood somewhere waiting for the Duc to warm up, whilst all my mates have buggered off!!!!

Anybody tell me why the Duc gets cold soooo fast?
Old 22-Jun-2003, 13:12
DSC Club Member
Big Twin

I suspect a faulty water temperature gauge.

I had to replace mine when I noticed that it had a serious time lag tracking coolant temperatures both up and down. Check to see if your gauge also takes a long time to display a lower temperature at speed after a hot idle.
Old 22-Jun-2003, 13:24
Montjuic

From stone cold I let mine run for a minute then just ride carefully until up to temp. Short shifting and low revs. It reaches operating temperature much much quicker.

Warming a bike up to operating temperature is not neccesary so long as the oil has had chance to circulate and you don't rev the ******** off it.
Any way, the neighbours would not be too happy if I warmed it up to operating temp every time I went ouit for a ride.
Old 22-Jun-2003, 13:28
Big Twin

I let it idle til it gets just below 60 on the temp guage, then ride off keeping the revs under 5000 til its inbetween 60 and 80
Old 23-Jun-2003, 01:25
Bevel Head

snap!!!!!

Thats what I do too DJ, but the prob is that it takes about 10 mins to get to 60 from totally cold, which with my cans makes me very unpopular when I set off for work at 8.30 in the morning!! Not to mention not being able to get away as quickly as I'd like from McDonalds! The SP2 warms up in half the time, as I did that little experiment the other day....

I'm curious about the faulty temp gauge though, I'll have to look at that tommorow....

[Edited on 23-6-2003 by mark996]