Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 10-Dec-2009, 11:10
Ducati Corse

Mood: Bloo and Yellow.. and Red now ;)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Col996s
Funny you should say that but I was thinking the same. What would be wrong in stretching them over the holes where the pipes join the airbox? I'm being serious.

They go up in flames if you get a back fire thru the throttles..... I'm being serious
Old 10-Dec-2009, 11:12
DSC Club Member
Big Twin

Mood: Im Going to Italy soon!
Quote:
Originally Posted by nelly
They go up in flames if you get a back fire thru the throttles..... I'm being serious

I wont even go near something that sounds like singe!
Old 10-Dec-2009, 11:29
Ducati Dealer

Filter

The main reason I did the air filter way back in 94 was after removing the tank on the 1st 916 I ever worked on I found the air box lined with grit etc which had got right past the original air tube filter then of course the next step is straight into the motor, after considering every which way to go and with the knowledge that surface area for any type of filter is the most important thing to avoid suffocating the engine the JHP filter was borne. One advantage with that type is that it does not impeed the volume of the air box (just think of how much water is displaced when you put a sponge in a bucket of water) is also has little to no effect on pressurising the air box, in fact as the air tubes are not resticted it is better than the original.
As for Chris B's comments I can't stop laughing which is always a good way to start the day !

jhp john
Old 10-Dec-2009, 12:12
WSB Hero

Mood: Lurkin'.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by nelly
Its true ya know.
Back in the days of when I was an impoverished grass track racer,I made an airfilter from my mums old tights.I could'nt afford one of those fancy foam jobbies.Now big singles running on methanol are a bit of a b*****d to start,and sure enough she backfired through the carb,.....
I managed to put the fire out before the frame and seat got too badly damaged.
"Hello,is that Trackstar equipment?One foam airfilter please!"
Old 10-Dec-2009, 18:12
DSC Club Member
Big Twin

While it's true that foam does not impede or change the effective volume of the air box, it does change its resonance characteristics. You can prove this to yourself by first blowing across the mouth of a bottle to hear it's tone, and then repeating this after partially filling the bottle with filter foam.

Filters located in the air box take-up space which changes the resonance of the intake system at various engine speeds. Air box resonance helps to fill the cylinders with air, and it’s important to note that factory engine development work to smooth-out the power and torque curves is done using the stock filters. In particular, air box filters degrade throttle response, the ability to smoothly accept changes in throttle, by reducing the volume of “free” air located in the space between the filter element and the throttle plate. The volume of “free” air should be at least 1.5 liters for the best throttle response for liter displacement bikes.

http://www.ducatisportingclub.com/sh...ad.php?t=41331
Old 10-Dec-2009, 22:16
Ducati Meccanica
Bikes: 996S

Mood: Waiting for the warmer weather.
Now what do I do?
Old 10-Dec-2009, 22:17
Ducati Dealer

And here's me trying to explain things simply, well in reality on both the flowbench and the dyno + keeping things to a resonably affordable level the foam airbox filter works very well without any drop in performance over the original type and it certainly filters the incoming air to a better level than the original.
On our BSB winning bikes we have used two types of JHP filter one being the foam in airbox type before the shower type injectors were employed and I think if they were good enough to win BSB races in the past then they can't be to bad !

Regards jhp john
Old 10-Dec-2009, 22:41
Ducati Meccanica
Bikes: 748ish . .

Mood: Sampai jumpa lagi
Hello

I have, and always fit the ITG/JHP to my bike,
soley because over the years I have noticed lots of stone debirs in the airbox.
Maybe not a good enough reason, but Nelly set my bike up some years ago when I first fitted one,
and the bike ran just fine.

each to their own I guess.

TopiToo
Old 11-Dec-2009, 01:40
Big Twin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Col996s
Now what do I do?

To be fair you would be hard pushed to notice much difference which ever route you go down. Like John says you will have better protection for your engine internals.
Get one ordered fit it and forget about it.
Old 11-Dec-2009, 11:00
Ducati Meccanica
Bikes: 996S

Mood: Waiting for the warmer weather.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr C
To be fair you would be hard pushed to notice much difference which ever route you go down. Like John says you will have better protection for your engine internals.
Get one ordered fit it and forget about it.

I am.
Thanks to everyone.