Ducati Sporting Club UK
Idle Chat
Still needs to be clean and of value to the club.

Old 21-Jan-2009, 17:06
Big Twin

Mood: High as a kite!
New Insurance Laws?

Will this be applied to bikes?

http://www.autocar.co.uk/News/NewsAr...llCars/237134/
Old 21-Jan-2009, 17:42
DSC Club Member
Big Twin

Mood: Im Going to Italy soon!
I would think it very clear that it will apply to all motor vehicles (including bikes). I notice that those which are on SORN, I think I have 12, willnot be required to be insured.

But you can get a £5000 fine for using a SORN vehicle on the road insured or not!
Old 21-Jan-2009, 17:56
Ducati Corse

Mood: R U thinking what I'm thinking?......Oh dear!
Dunno, but I'd be surprised if they didn't. A large percentage of bikers were branded tax dodgers last year based on wrong figures cooked up by the DVLA so expect some cooked up figures about how many bikers are not bothering to insure their bikes in the not too distant future.

Doesn't affect stuff that is SORN'd

The "underclass" that don't bother with tax and insurance and MOT won't get caught with this as they don't bother registering themselves as the keeper.

The govt are relying on the DVLA and their database, the DVLA couldn't run a bath.....................but they would certainly wouldn't be short on ideas on how to fine you if you didn't register, tax, or insure a bath correctly.

Recently was on the receiving end of what I perceived as threatening letters form the TV licensing goons as a result of information they had in their database. Got nowhere with polite measured responses to their "threatening" letters until I sent a response from my own "threatening" letter dept.

The govt see this sort of thing, relying on data, as easy money and it looks like they are doing something about a problem that won't target the serious problem as the info. they need isn't in their precious database. i.e. The names and addresses of people that don't register, tax insure or MOT their cars, bikes, or whatever.

and don't get me started on the DVLA selling access to their or more importantly your and my data to any Tom dick or herbert that hands over the relevant £££££

Nurse me tablets.......................

Ray.
Old 21-Jan-2009, 17:59
GTL

Sounds like a good idea to me. Declare it off the road with a SORN, as Chris says, and all is sweetness and light. The more difficult it is for the scallies to drive whilst uninsured, the fewer of them there will be and the less my premiums will be.
Old 21-Jan-2009, 18:11
Big Twin

Mood: High as a kite!
The thing is that most drivers who are uninsured don't bother registering it in their own names, my mum caught some pikey scum duping a load of building waste recently and took the registration, she informed one of neighbours who is a local copper who in turn let us know a couple of days later that the van was registered in Carlisle! We live on the south coast!! Even the local Romanies i know are ****ed off with it because most people lump the Gypsies, Romanies and Pikeys in one group
Old 21-Jan-2009, 18:26
GTL

True, and that is a loophole which needs plugging, but at least it gets them off the street when they are stopped by the police. Have to say, I don't know what the penalties are for not having the vehicle registered in your own name. Thinking about the loophole....when you buy the car/bike, it is the seller's responsibility to let the DVLA know the name and address of the new keeper. Doesn't that make the responsibility quite difficult to avoid? Or is that not how it works?

Postbit Selector
Switch to Vertical postbit Use Vertical Postbit