Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 29-Apr-2011, 09:14
Bevel Head
Bikes: Ducati 748r-853r / SF 1098s

Mood: ...much happier.
Talking 748r Seat Conversion - Expertise & Wisdom Required

Hi world

Looking for advice, preferably someone to walk-me through the conversion process to change my Monoposto into a BP Dual Seater.

Missus wasn't very happy when I said that the rear sub-frame was Ally as opposed to steel, therefore it couldn't take the weight. The condition of the buy was that she can have a go (rear pillion)... it made matters worse in the previous year when I bought her a set of leathers for her 30th - not good (not that the 30th present went down well anyway). My brownie points are quickly dissapating here - help!

So... I have to date purchased the following:

* rear BP subframe
* BP seat (no lights)

Appreciate if someone can advise if I need anything else? Looking to position myself to swap the seat in an instant, as opposed to spending ages exchanging seats.

* Unsure whether to buy the indicator rear lights as shown on flea-bay.
* Also I know that I need to buy a seat hinge

I did however, lift the rear seat and was surprised to see a mass of gadgetry...a little different to what was under my previous BP. Something tells me that a re-shuffle is required under here.

Any help or advice is grately appreciated.

Thanks

Ash

Last edited by tcat : 29-Apr-2011 at 09:19.
Old 29-Apr-2011, 09:44
DSC Club Rep
Ducati Corse
Bikes: Monster 1100 EVO

Mood: I'm A Grandad again :-)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashleyford
Hi world

Looking for advice, preferably someone to walk-me through the conversion process to change my Monoposto into a BP Dual Seater.

Missus wasn't very happy when I said that the rear sub-frame was Ally as opposed to steel, therefore it couldn't take the weight. The condition of the buy was that she can have a go (rear pillion)... it made matters worse in the previous year when I bought her a set of leathers for her 30th - not good (not that the 30th present went down well anyway). My brownie points are quickly dissapating here - help!

So... I have to date purchased the following:

* rear BP subframe
* BP seat (no lights)

Appreciate if someone can advise if I need anything else? Looking to position myself to swap the seat in an instant, as opposed to spending ages exchanging seats.

* Unsure whether to buy the indicator rear lights as shown on flea-bay.
* Also I know that I need to buy a seat hinge

I did however, lift the rear seat and was surprised to see a mass of gadgetry...a little different to what was under my previous BP. Something tells me that a re-shuffle is required under here.

Any help or advice is grately appreciated.

Thanks

Ash

OK, it is an easy job, I have done it to my 748R as well, it takes around 10 to 15 minutes to change over the seat unit fron solo to bip.

Best bet is to have a complete bip seat unit ready to go, ie, front hinge, light unit fitted etc, and passenger foot rests.

A standard steel bip seat unit will fit straight on, the worst bit however is the electrics, this is due to the fact that the ecu sits 90 degrees different to the bip., I will put a few pics up later for you to have a look at the finished item.

Chris.
Old 29-Apr-2011, 11:20
Bevel Head

Fantastic Chris, cheers fella... this is the main bit that is really worrying me, specifically the alterations to the ECU and where to screw it down to. I've just had a BikeTrac fitted and this is another lump that is clearly needs to be re-located.

Questions: did you manage to fit a tool tray after ECU positioning? It looks a little bit tight under her backside.

Last edited by tcat : 29-Apr-2011 at 11:48.
Old 29-Apr-2011, 13:53
DSC Club Rep
Ducati Corse
Bikes: Monster 1100 EVO

Mood: I'm A Grandad again :-)
As promised, a few pics.
There is a pic of the original subframe, then 3 others which I have just taken showing the routing of the main cable around the alarm unit as it is longer than a bip wiring loom, tool tray does fit, the worst part I found was re- connecting the tail & indicator light connectors, this needs doing before you put the ecu back in.

Chris:burn;
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0132_1.JPG (99.8 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1698_1.JPG (115.4 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1700_1.JPG (106.3 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1699_1.JPG (103.7 KB, 20 views)
Old 29-Apr-2011, 15:41
DSC Club Member
Ducati Meccanica
Bikes: '01 Ducati 748R and '04 Mille RSVR

Mood: Awaiting the arrival of the sun and the disappearance of the rain
I agree with Chris Ashley, if you can afford to make a complete replacement seat unit (lights, brackets, hinges, wiring etc) it does make the whole job a damn sight easier. I can swap the seat from my 748R over to the BIP in about 5-10 mins now.

www.copeimages.com

WeeJohnyB, Best instructor out there http://www.nolimitstrackdays.com/
Old 30-Apr-2011, 20:56
Bevel Head

Thanks for the pics. I will pick this up further on my next return to the UK... Just need to buy all the other bits + bobs in advance of my return