Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 04-Apr-2005, 13:42
DSC Club Member
Ducati in my Blood
Bikes: 1100S Multistrada, 450RT, Gilera Nordwest, Bultaco Frontera, Rickman Metisse-being built!

Mood: Growing old-DISGRACEFULLY!
Back brake, back brake?-do Ducati's come equipped with a back brake?-I thought the lever was just there for show..............

John
Old 04-Apr-2005, 19:17
Mille

Mood: Just the one bike for me now
Always use me rear brake in unison with more to the front.
Force of habit I suppose but my back brake does actually work ???

Off to squirt some WD40 on to it...

Delooney.
Old 04-Apr-2005, 19:54
Big Twin

I use the rear brake quite alot helps to settle the brake mid corner or if I need to scrub of a little more speed as I am tipping it in

By the way my rear brake failed on saturday morning I was going down hill and the bike was working hard, pulled in the cluch and the bike came to a fairley quick halt.
Turns out the rear master cyclender sezied up

Never mind £35 quid later new one fitted
Old 04-Apr-2005, 20:52
500SD

Mood: Firing on all 4 !!
I use mine quite alot too, in town its much easier to work with than diving the front, and when i need to slow from low speeds, at higher speeds i still tend to use both, and esp in the wet.
i guess growing up on a 350LC which had a **** poor front brake and good rear moulded me to use it.

I was out on the RC30 yesterday, and the rear is **** poor on that, yet the fronts have a hell of a bite with clean calipers and new HH pads. it took some getting used to having to rely on the fronts only.

I guess i prefer a smoother ride and am keeping the weight from my wrists when using the rear, but also i use it for keeping balance at v low speed
Old 04-Apr-2005, 22:17
888 at Last !!!

i don't use my bike in town or stop on hills

[Edited on 4-4-2005 by ziggi]
Old 04-Apr-2005, 22:33
Big Twin

Here's a thought.

I've been wondering if some don't actually use the back brake, or just don't think about using it and so assume they don't. One of those psychological things where the mind ignores it as it's an automatic action.

I guess the question would be answered if everyone who doesn't use it, removed their rear brake pedal at TA4....

Purely in the interest of science

Laptime with then without?

Volunteers???

Am I being daft now???

Old 04-Apr-2005, 22:44
Big Twin

Mood: My K5 Rocks !!!!
Only use it when i'm backing it in to the apex
Old 04-Apr-2005, 22:50
Ducati Meccanica
Bikes: have owned 748/853/916/749/853R/748/848 not sure whats next...

Mood: excited about the changes made to averysmotorcycles.co.uk that are coming up
we taech it so that people use the back brake for slow speed riding ( as mentioned ) and cornering, i ride my 748 with my toes on the edge of the peg when cornering so nowhere near the rear peg if i needed it, plus its crap at stopping the bike on its own, it does definetly help in towns, car parks and u-turns are a peice of cake when using the rear brake

some very interesting answers above, think i'll try and use it a bit more when out riding a bit faster even if it means adjusting my stlye ( ha ha ha ).
Old 05-Apr-2005, 01:03
Big Twin

Why change if you're happy with the way you ride now.

Better things to focus on than the back brake I'd say

Like....

Holding the throttle open whilst braking hard......
Old 05-Apr-2005, 02:32
Big Twin

Mood: renegade sexy racer
If you can get used to using your back brake to just take off a little speed in left handers it can keep you on your own side of the road when you do get in a bit hot, it works really well. It’s a better way of loosing speed and keeping on the line. It stops you getting the feeling you need to lift the bike to let you use enough front brake. Most folks seem to have more confidence on rights because of the amount of practice they get on the road and the track. It must be the safety of the hedge and not the on coming traffic. Eekk
I don’t know the theory of it, but you seem to be able to use more front brake and not make the bike lift when you are using the back.
I am not saying its a get out of jail free card,more a helping hand in the face of a situation that is deterating rapidly.

Nice to get all your braking done before the apex if you can though a.