Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 23-May-2003, 23:34
Mille

Slipper clutch

Not really a Termi article so its a seperate post.

My S is fitted with the Bucci Racing slipper clutch. Absolutely outstanding.

There are a few centre bearing slipper clutches out there, I have my doubts, but this one (not centre bearing) is the pooches pips. Its expensive, but it works - big time. Wack it down the box, any rev's, any speed - V-Twin - what V-twin!

Also check ou STM. An Italian manufacturer, they produce some sweet clutch covers.

As my jap 4 buddies tell me, it sounds bad with the open clutch cover!

Trouble is I always get there first!!

Needs regular cleaning tho'
Old 26-May-2003, 21:03
Big Twin

Got a ducati corse slipper clutch and it is very good coming down the box, but mine still makes an awfull grinding noise when pulling away hard or slipping the clutch on hills etc.
Tried everything to no avail.
Does yours do the same?
Old 26-May-2003, 23:20
Mille

I get a an odd noise too when letting the clutch out. I don't remeber it doing that when it was new, but then so were the clutch plates.

The clutch is currently running with standard plates. Maybe these need to be changed?

I have stripped and cleaned it once but this did not solve the problem.

It still works a treat so I am assuming that all is ok!
Old 27-May-2003, 19:40

How good is the Slipper ?

What is the honest opinion on the slipper fitted to the 999 ? Do you still get the engine braking effect ? Does it allow the tail to drift out ALA Xuas style ? Any comments gladly appreciated as I have ordered the one from the Ducati performance catalogue.

Old 27-May-2003, 20:58
Big Twin

Hi triple9,Overall i think the slipper clutch is really good when coming up to corners very fast, as you can go down the box 6,5,4,3,2,1 nearly as quick as you have read this without any fear of the back wheel locking up which inspires confidence.
As for if the back end will slide i do not know as i am still running my bike in and have not given it any real wellie yet.
The one and only moan i have is the grinding noise when moving off quickly which sounds really crap on a new bike.
If you are fitting the clutch yourself try and get the alloy/carbon plate set as the standard steel plates wear the alloy clutch basket apparently(common sense i suppose steel rubbing on alloy ) and make sure you place a friction plate in first and a steel spacer in last (which i found out off the experts at JHP amongst others )
Good luck and enjoy.
Old 27-May-2003, 22:52

Thanks

IanG, Thanks for your help. I will make sure that they fit the plates as you advised.