Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 20-Apr-2009, 09:50
Montjuic
Bikes: MS1200S, T150V

Mood: Hopeful
Cool Calling 1198s Riders

The first 30 miles on the 1198s were nearly the last. If one thing really gets my goat it's a misfire. Imagine the scene: 17C blue sky and bone dry, smooth dual carriageway, 65mph, constant throttle. The darned thing was misfiring worse than a badly serviced 851 in an Algerian traffic jam. Then, just as my blood was coming to a boil, I noticed the briefest flash of the 1st LED on the DASH top: the DTC activation.

Never under any circumstance could anything have been "spinning-up". A quick stop in the next layby, changed DTC from Level 8 to 6. Hey Presto. Later, I turned it off completely and the engine was even smoother.

I would really like to understand what other 1198s riders are experiencing (the 1098R system is not the same). It is so intrusive on your bike or do I have a fault?

If you are thinking of moving from a 1098 to a 1198 believing the change is just 100cc, thing again. Lots of very small things add up to a hugely different feel (to me). Some better, some worse. The throttle response seems faster and torque seem immensely increased even at running-in speeds. Poised as you would be to wind on a breath of gas on corner entry, hit a bump on our 3rd world roads, and you'll be rewarded by a snarl of power pushing you towards doom. Of course I will get used to it, but first impressions (after a 1098s remember) is that it's an animal. Respect is due to those who can ride the R !
Old 20-Apr-2009, 13:42
GTL

Why would you have the traction control on at all, let alone level 8 which is very intrusive on a dry sunny warm day?
Old 20-Apr-2009, 13:46
Montjuic

I didn't expect it to be that intrusive. Are you saying your1198s is as intrusive as that? I am trying to determine whether mine has a fault or not. Wouldn't you?
Old 20-Apr-2009, 14:27
Mille

Mood: twitching
2 moans for me are 1. my 996 can out handle it through the twisties with far less physical effort, but i am going to sort the suspension next weekend. 2. fueling issue at 3500 to 4200 rpm i guess because of EU emissions? Ill bugger about with the DTC today and feed back if it made a difference but doubt.
Sorry
Old 20-Apr-2009, 14:32
DSC Club Member
BSB Star

Mood: MT Meglomaniac
Hmmm...just read the TWO test and they say that the DTC is a wonderful thing. One of the testers reckons that the 1198S is the best sportsbike they've ever ridden, so it may be that yours has some kind of fault (although it would be best to try it on the least intrusive settings I reckon).

Never had a screaming urge to get one of the 1098/1198's but I must admit that TWO test had me drooling

The Patent Jools Mood Meter -Today I am:

___________^
Old 20-Apr-2009, 17:23
DSC Club Member
Mille

Mood: Ageing Disgracefully
I've got a 1098R, if it helps here is what I have found with DTC.

Levels 7 & 8 are pointless, 6 might have some value in monsoon/icy conditions.
I was out in January with the air temp showing 1 degree celcius, I still found level 5 too intrusive.

Finally even on level 5, if you drive (hard) out of a corner or away from a set of lights that has ripples in the surface of the tarmac then the DTC chimes in like a plug cap fell off !

For 99% of my road riding, level 2 is perfect. Yesterday I was out for a good blast and found level 2 only very occasionally chiming in (big lean angles, and big drive).

On the 1098R the DTC first starts to retard the ignition before it cuts the spark, so the power softens first then it chops a cylinder. This is different to the 1198S.

DTC was and still is a true revelation (ignoring the nanny settings), I do believe every sportsbike should have something similar fitted.

Foxy
Old 20-Apr-2009, 17:54
Ducati Corse

Mood: Bloo and Yellow.. and Red now ;)
Level 4 is a "suggested" one for every day riding. the levels above that are really down to style and progress being made.
It was made quite clear that different riding styles benefit different levels when we were given the low down at the factory. trial and error to find your best selection is the suggestion.
I think at level 8, the DTC is almost pre-empting wheel slip and acts accordingly......
Old 20-Apr-2009, 18:00
Montjuic

Thanks Jools and Foxy. I am generally very happy with it. I'm off up Shap now intending to switch in level 5 as recommended. DTC off is OK but the throttle response is very sharp it might save my bacon on diesel etc. By coincidence, the dealer phoned a few moments ago and confirmed that they found it too intrusive.
Sincere thanks again chaps. Much appreciated.
Old 20-Apr-2009, 18:32

I've now got 1100 miles on my 1198S,first service done and opened it up for the first time (above 7000rpm) yesterday.

Animal is a good description (I owned an 04 ZX10 for 3 years and an 08 ZX10 for a year and I don't think even these bikes compare !).

I had 'issues' with DTC up until the first service - as already said,anything above setting 4 is pointless on a dry road.

I'm not a wheely freak but a bike with this much poke and so little weight (even at running in revs) does lift the front under brisk acceleration - even with DTC on level 3 it was cutting the motor and slamming the front down with little in the way of height with the front wheel - had a few nasty bollox/tank interfaces - almost snapping my wrists was when I decided something needed doing.

At the first service the mechanic checked for fault codes (both on the main ECU and the DTC ecu) but no faults appeared - a quick call to Ducati UK revealed nothing so I was advised to try the bike with DTC off - if the fault re-appeared then that ruled out DTC.

But,after the service the fault disappeared - no problems with level 3 (unless the road conditions were a little ****).

I've also got that annoying fueling problem around 3500 rpm - easily sorthed by running at 4000 rpm but that's not really the point.

When funds recover a PC V and a dyno run should sort it out.

The comments about the handling not being as good as a 996 are a little puzzling - I owned a 996S a while back and just couldn't get on with the heavy steering - on track it was very hard work - mucking about with ride height did little to help - the 1198 feels far better,quicker to turn in whilst still holding a fairly tight line .

I read the TWO article 1198S -v- 09 R1 - Rob Hoyles was the rider (no slouch !) - the R1 was damned with feint praise whilst the Duc won the plaudits - just one mans opinion but the 1198S IS the best bike i've ever ridden/owned and i've been through a few.

Roll on the first trackday in May...

I haven't fiddled with suspension adjustment yet - thinking about getting Colin from 100% Suspension to sort it out (he did my ZX10 and transformed it) - the rear feels fine with my (ample) weight aboard but the front does have a small amount of understeer.

Oh aye,first time i've used these new Pirelli SP's - they feel great and warm up far quicker than the SC pro's i'm used to - grip doesn't seem an issue.
Old 20-Apr-2009, 19:33
Mille

Mood: twitching
yep.. I tried it as i mentioned earlier and ill be buggered!!. What i thought was a fueling issue almost disappeared both straight line and slow mini roundabout cornering letting it linger at 3000 rpm to 4200rpm. I dropped it down from 8 to 6 now going to 4 tomorrow to test it further. Nice quick fix, the membership to Ducati Sporting Club and everyones help over the years has saved me once again. bloody fantastic . thanks to everyone!!!!!

Wheelie issues i havent had with the DTC on 8 and i was UFO spotting for a short while from the lights. weird ill try on tomorrows run ..thanks again