Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 30-Jan-2006, 21:19
500SD

Mood: Double 9, Single 6.
Rev counter

Does anyone here have any info with regards to the rev counter on a 748/996 and if they are prone to packing up?

I was working on my electrics and blew the headlamp bulb. No problem I thought. Put a new bulb in and have noticed that the rev counter has packed up.

Checked all the fuses etc including going over the rev counter itself. Every thing else on the dash and the bike works.

Can the rev counter be rebuilt or tested?
Any ideas?

DC
Old 30-Jan-2006, 21:28
Ducati Corse

Mood: Bloo and Yellow.. and Red now ;)
They're usually pretty reliable. Worth checking the small white connector in the back of the tacho. Changing the lamps can sometimes pull on the loom and the connection itself isn't that positive. Try moving the connector with the engine running to see if the tacho stirs..........
They can be checked using a mathesis, but that's only really a techy way of wobbling the connector
Have you checked the two fuses up by the ECU? The tacho is fed from the Fi system, although if they go i think you'd have more than an inoperative tacho............ worth checking though.
Other than that, i'm guessing you shorted something to blow a headlight? could have took out the tacho pcb as well?
Old 30-Jan-2006, 22:42
500SD

Cheers for a quick response Nelly.

I have checked the fuses up by the ECU. They are fine.

The bike runs well so I guess that it is not the ECU itself that could be playing me up. I looked at the tiny white connecter that goes into the back on the Rev counter and all seemed well.

For what its worth, I have looked at the wiring diagram in the Haynes destruction manual and could see that the full beam and rev counter/Tacho seem to be indirectly connected?????

Whats the Tacho pcb??

DC.
Old 30-Jan-2006, 23:16
Ducati Corse

Tacho pcb..........printed circuit board. The guts essentially. If it got spiked when the bulb got blown then it it'll be junk i'm afraid.
Can you get your hands on another tacho to try? If not, i may have a spare you could try for the postage..........let us know.
Old 30-Jan-2006, 23:50
500SD

Quote:
Originally posted by nelly
Tacho pcb..........printed circuit board. The guts essentially. If it got spiked when the bulb got blown then it it'll be junk i'm afraid.
Can you get your hands on another tacho to try? If not, i may have a spare you could try for the postage..........let us know.

Cheers Nelly. Top man. If I cant get one to use for a test I may take you up on the offer.

Out of interest, whats the cost of a new Tacho??
Old 30-Jan-2006, 23:52
Ducati Corse

Can't recall...........about £100 I think There's always a few knocking around though
Old 31-Jan-2006, 23:00
MotoGP God

Mood: Its ONLY a Bike Club
Quote:
Originally posted by DC

Give Jim at Bike Enders in Romford a call, he can probably sort you out with a Tacho if you need one.
You can get him on 01708 455530
If he's not there during the day he may be at the bike show although he ws ment to go today but I didn't see him there
Old 31-Jan-2006, 23:07
500SD

Quote:
Originally posted by skidlids
Quote:
Originally posted by DC

Give Jim at Bike Enders in Romford a call, he can probably sort you out with a Tacho if you need one.
You can get him on 01708 455530
If he's not there during the day he may be at the bike show although he ws ment to go today but I didn't see him there

Cheers Skidlids, you are a star.

DC.