Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 13-Nov-2005, 18:53

Electrical Gremilins

Hi All

I thought I had cured my electrical problems with a new battery, however after the mini service I did last week I thought I would take advantage of the nice sunday weather and go out for a blast.

I stopped after about 10 miles and the bike wouldnt start on the button, so I bumped it.......................after another mile it started coughing and spluttering and eventualy lost power and died.

Luckily I wasnt so far from a freinds house, so he came out gave it 10 minutes charge off his car and it started first press. By the time I got it to his house it was starting to splutter again.

The bike is obviously running off the battery at all times, but when I checked the voltage accross the terminals @ tickover it shows about 15volts, this sounds too high to me.

Anyone had the same problem?

Thanks

BJ
Old 13-Nov-2005, 20:06
Montjuic

If it is that high most likely the regulator/rectifier.

If that turns out to be the problem, www.electrexworld.co.uk is where you want to head.
Old 13-Nov-2005, 20:39

Thanks that site is very usefull but........

Forgive my ignorance but would a suffed reg/rect putting 15v into the battery at tickover (dont know what it is doing whilst riding) give me the symptoms I am describing?

In other words not charge the battery? the Gen light on my dash, which I assume is the generator fault light is not lit.

Thanks

BJ

[Edited on 13-11-2005 by barryj]
Old 13-Nov-2005, 22:37
Montjuic

if its a pre 98 bike and had the later reg fitted the gen/battery light doesn't work.
Old 13-Nov-2005, 22:54
Big Twin

Mood: happy bike passed MOT
Were you riding with your lights on ???
Old 13-Nov-2005, 23:12
Ducati Meccanica
Bikes: 748ish . .

Mood: Sampai jumpa lagi
Hello

barryj,

Sorry without knowing what year bike you have maybe my advice has to be taken with a pinch of salt.

Saying that I have had my fair share of electrical problems and suffered the symptoms you have discribed.

have a look at this thread which proved very helpful.

Best of luck getting sorted

http://www.ducatisportingclub.com/xm...d.php?tid=2042

regards

TopiToo
Old 14-Nov-2005, 10:17
Montjuic

A stuffed reg putting too much voltage into the battery can break the battery very quickly. It normally starts to blow bulbs all over the place too, well it did on my ZXR400 anyway.

The workshop manual should detail the voltage you can expect to see under various loads and engine speeds.
Old 14-Nov-2005, 19:47
Montjuic

I had the same problem on my 97 916, managed to get within a mile or so of home, then the happy task of pushing the bike back, a quick chat with a mate, and the removal of the fairing, regulator/rectifier wiring found to be in a very poor state, a sign things are not to good with the unit!!!
After a chat with the garage I brought the bike from, it should be fixed later this week FOC, as I've only had the bike 3 weeks!!!
I have been told that pre 98/99 bike used this type, then the unit was changed to a jap type after the said date.
but the symptons your bike gave where the same as mine, so I'd say thats your problem aswell.
Old 15-Nov-2005, 10:26

Thanks for all the replies, I suspect the Reg/Rect but am thrown by the fact the Gen light doesn't show. It is possible that the bulb is simply blown as it does not light up when the ignition is turned on (not sure if it should?) the bike had the fault when I bought it but the owner may have removed the bulb to cover the fault. I will check it out this evening.

My bike has the later Reg/Rect mounted on the ali plate, but the year of my bike is questionable. It says 1999 on the logbook but it was imported to the UK after being used in another country (unknown), I have seen many imports that are given a later year in the UK on the logbook. Is there a way of determining the year from the frame number? The seat unit has 1995 on a sticker underneath but I don't altogether trust that as a datum as the bike has had new panels (they are a mix of colours painted the same scheme), I am making this bike sound good arent I!

It may be that it is a pre 98 bike fitted with the later Reg/Rect so the light doesn't work.

To be honest for the cost involved I am thinking that I will replace the Reg/Rect and check all the wiring back to the generator and see what happens.

Topitoo, thanks for the thread I think I will go for the voltmeter idea in some form so I at keast know when to turn around and head home!

Nick let me know what they did to cure yours please

I did have the headlight on, so that would have reduced my range for sure.

Thanks

Barry

[Edited on 15-11-2005 by barryj]
Old 15-Nov-2005, 14:21
Mille

that's interesting my bike is a 95 bike with the later regulator and the generator light never came on when the ignition is on - now i know why - can anything be done about this?