Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 07-Jun-2006, 23:08
Montjuic

Frount Brake Light

The Frount Brake does not active the brake light, ive quickly checked the rear brake so its not the bulb.

Its getting a bit late tonight so ive not had a really good look but earlier I could not see the switch,

anyone know where it is?
Old 07-Jun-2006, 23:56
Mille

Mood: Bring the noise!
The switch is at the master cylinder end of the brake lever. It activates by releasing a small switch when the brake lever is pulled.

Trace the wires back down from the switch and remove them from the bullet connectors where they meet the wiring loom (on the right hand side of the bike just behind the steering head.) Inspect and clean the connectors and then carefully re-insert them. Hopefully it will just be a "Ducati Connection" and it will operate.

Believe it or not exactly the same thing happen to me last night. I had a problem with the rear light conduit under the exhaust and had to remove the tail light wiring. After everything was reconnected the second filiment in the bulb wouldn't light up. I thought I had fu@ked up the wiring and took in to automotive electician to test. Tested OK. Could then only be the front brake switch or any thing else on the wiring loom. Fortunately in was just the wire connection

Last edited by sbwells : 08-Jun-2006 at 08:32.
Old 08-Jun-2006, 13:54
500SD

Mood: Out with the grey....in with the satin black
I've had that switch fail (on the day of my MOT) on my 749s. From memory, the switch is about £40-50 !!!! Hopefully, a clean & re-connection will sort yours out.
Old 08-Jun-2006, 16:46
DSC Club Member
BSB Star

Mood: MT Meglomaniac
The brake lever also has a little pin going through from the lever side to the switch. The switch is "push for off" so when brake lever is released the pin presses on the switch and the brake light goes off, when you release the pressure on the switch it should turn on, BUT, the only pressure exerted to push the actuator pin back is the puny little spring in the switch, so if the pin is corroded it ain't gonna shift. Likewise, there is sometimes enough play in the mounting screws to keep the switch too close to the pin so it can't release.

I replaced my switch yesterday because in my case it was the switch that failed, mine came on a spare master cylinder off eBay, bargain if the switch costs 40-50 quid and you get a free master cylinder.

The Patent Jools Mood Meter -Today I am:

___________^
Old 08-Jun-2006, 19:07
Montjuic

Trace the wires back down from the switch and remove them from the bullet connectors where they meet the wiring loom (on the right hand side of the bike just behind the steering head.) Inspect and clean the connectors and then carefully re-insert them. Hopefully it will just be a "Ducati Connection" and it will operate.

Top man!!!

A liberal dose of contact cleaner followed by a barrier grease and as good as new. Ive found the switch really neat, but why do they spoil it and use cheap bullet connectors
Old 08-Jun-2006, 21:30
WSB Hero

Mood: Lurkin'.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jools
The brake lever also has a little pin going through from the lever side to the switch. The switch is "push for off" so when brake lever is released the pin presses on the switch and the brake light goes off, when you release the pressure on the switch it should turn on, BUT, the only pressure exerted to push the actuator pin back is the puny little spring in the switch, so if the pin is corroded it ain't gonna shift. Likewise, there is sometimes enough play in the mounting screws to keep the switch too close to the pin so it can't release.

I replaced my switch yesterday because in my case it was the switch that failed, mine came on a spare master cylinder off eBay, bargain if the switch costs 40-50 quid and you get a free master cylinder.
Jools,ol mate,you are whittering on about those old antique bikes again.The 749/999 bikes are differant.The switch has a plunger that operates directly off the lever.